Adaptation DVD - Superbit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon Conway, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    According to dvdplanet.com, Adaptation is going to be a Superbit release. See for yourself HERE.

Otherwise, they have no release info....

2. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

Heh, that's funny. It was on that Superbit wishlist thread that was on the HTF a week ago.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

It's funny-is "Superbit" turning into the new term for "bare bones"? It used to be that a bare bones release had a negative connotation, but now they can just say "but it's Superbit!", and all of a sudden barebones is a good thing again?

The wonders of marketing!

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think its time to kill the superbit marketing ploy. I don't doubt that some of the releases had slightly improved picture. But its becoming painfully obvious that columbia tri star wants to be the king of double dipping. Also it seems like the superbit logo may be turning into a way to make the bare bones version seem like it has more value to it.

I don't think special editions should be rushed but it seems that they are holding back multi disc editions long enough so that most fans of a movie will buy the original and then the special edition.

Columbia Tri Star could include a high quality transfer of every film by making sure the special features are on a second disc. Commentary tracks could still be kept by using reduced bit rate dolby 5.1 tracks. Most people who want high quality audio will be listening to the dts track anyway.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, this is a good idea.

If they're not interested in a full special edition, why not do a DVD that optimizes the video and audio presentation?

6. Benson R

I think what your missing here is that they are just slapping a logo on a box. If someone wanted to release the best possible presentation a barebones release sans dts might actually produce better quality. Including both dts and dolby 5.1 has a much bigger impact on the available bits for picture than including a trailer and bios. All they are doing by calling this superbit is getting people to buy two versions.

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I don't find this a very good idea.

While I DO see the value of SuperBit for certain releases, Adaptation seems like the ANANTHEMA to such releases.

Superbit, IMHO, is best paired with popcorn flicks that deserve a good presentation and don't really have enough depth to need special features. The Fifth Element is a perfect example - It's good popcorn entertainment, and it doesn't really need extra features, IMHO (not to mention the fact that there is no PRAYER for said features given what I've heard about Besson).

But Adaptation isn't a summer action flick, it's an arthouse film. Do we really NEED full-bitrate DTS on a movie like this? I'd say we don't.

I DO think we need extra features. I think Adaptation is the sort of movie that gets richer as you dig further and further into it (though I could be wrong about this, as I've only seen it once). These movies are ALWAYS served better by 2-disc Special Editions than they are with barebones releases. I WILL NOT buy Adaptation without extra features. Give me a Fight Club-quality extras-filled DVD to go along with the movie, though, and I might plunk down my cash for it.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I've always picked extras over stand alones. And my only disagreement with Brian above me is that I like extras on brainless popcorn movies as much as arthouse fair. If there is extra material, they should throw it on the disk. Everyone views movies differently, and movies in general are a very personal fair, therefor, the studios should do their all to present every film with the best possible standards and features possible, as one persons trash is another persons treasure.

What's surprising in this thread is that a majority of people are saying that SuperBit in general is a marketing ploy, which is far from what was being posted in the great, legendary "Panic Rooom- is it truly SuperBit?" thread.

While I can appreciate DTS, I've never found it to be so greatly superiour to DD 5.1. Subtly better yes, but I've never heard a DD 5.1 were I thought that it sucked so bad I wish I had a DTS track to listen to. I'd sooner see a disk with both of them, or just DD 5.1 (which is what a majority of people have anyways), maybe a commentary, with the second disk for supplements, and I'd like to see this on all disks, and I don't think they should hike the price up $10 for that second disk.

And I live on a planet with a purple sky and cotton candy clouds...

9. Benson R

I don't have to have extra features. But if its a movie I really like and I know there is going to be extra material I must have it. I also don't mind waiting a little longer to have it. I think fox does a great job releasing their special editions. When Fight Club came out on tape all the special features weren't ready. So they pushed back the release a month or two. No big deal. I also don't mind a barebones edition being released first when their is a clear release date announced for the special edition. What I resent is a title like Blackhawk Down where the studio seems to want to seperate the special and barebones editions release dates as much as possible in order to get consumers to buy both. If it wasn't for my constant trolling of this board I probably wouldn't even know the special edition was coming.

10. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I think this title deserves features. When I was watching it, the movie confused the hell out of me! I knew Kaufman and Orlean, etc are actual people, but it was just so damned distracting considering what happens to them. I'd love commentarty, interviews, etc to sort that out.