What's new

ADAM 12 - Quick Review (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
One Adam 12, One Adam 12 - see the man.

Couldn't resist that. I managed to get a copy and just settled down to watch a few of the half hour episodes. I will say that the color and detail is pretty good with very decent audio making it all an enjoyable experience. My how times have changed. And I really like watching all those '67 and '68 Plymouth sedans dressed up in black and white. For those of you anticipating this series' release to dvd the wait is almost over. As is the usual practice the two dics are flippers - each in their own keep case. I don't think it will take very long to go through all 26 episodes and let's just hope Universal does not take too long to release the following seasons. I'm still waiting for the second season of Kojak.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
ADAM 12 was always a half-hour show, for all of its 7 years on the air. The film quality of the syndicated episodes when it aired in reruns on WWOR EMI Service in 1995-96 was excellent. Have there ever been less than stellar prints of this series?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't want to get too specific for those who haven't seen it, but what season can I expect the episode where Malloy uses the CB in a special way when he is in danger? There was a season two episode of Starsky and Hutch called Survival that was quite similar.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Funny how certain things will bring back memories - I was 12 when it first aired and watching the image of a person using a hammer and stamp to imprint the Mark VII Production after the end titles was something I had forgotten over the years. I'm sure it was used in other shows as well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just about anything with Jack Webb's name on it. It is definitely at the end of Dragnet and Emergency. BTW, it's Jack Webb's hands. Just a little fun fact. :D

Speaking of which, I can't wait for more Dragnet. I hope for an eventual release of the original TV series, but I had a lot of fun with the initial box set. I hope a second season gets announced soon.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
It is funny how that hammer stamping the Mark VII logo brings back memories while watching my Dragnet 67 DVDs. Each time I see that sequence at the end I have flashbacks of watching Emergency as a young kid back in the 70's. I have been waiting anxiously for both Adam-12 and Emergency and can't wait to get my hands on both next week.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm another one anxiously waiting for this set. My dad is a 25 year retired police officer and he loved this show. One thing I liked about this show was how realistic it tried to be. It didn't have one storyline, you actually felt like you were riding in the back of a patrol car. I loved the opening credits and music with the camera mounted on top of the car. I have to admit, when I think of Adam-12 the first thought is that hammer and Mark VII stamp!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I went through the post on Emergency! and noticed the subject of disc damage and freezing mentioned in regard to the DVD-18 discs that Universal uses. I will say that the entire 26 episodes on Adam 12 played flawlessly except for the very last show - during the last few minutes it wanted to freeze as the video started breaking up but fortunately it played through. Hopefully no one else will suffer through anything more severe than that. I kind of regret viewing all the episodes so quickly but when a show is good how can you resist?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the early review. I'm a long-time Adam-12 fan and this set is one that I'll be hard-pressed to avoid the "marathon" viewing syndrome :D I usually have 20-30 TV/DVD sets that are "viewing-in-progress" and I haven't watched any entire series without switching to other series yet, "but there's always a first time" :D The closest I came to marathon'ing through a series was with the "Murder One" S1 set.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I picked up the set the other day, and although I generally don't like to, I'm going to zip through this at a quick pace. I've had poor luck with Universal sets, and I want to make sure it has no problems. I do see a mild scratch/scuff on the second disc, which worries me a bit. How it got there, who knows? It wasn't a floater. But, that's been par for the course with my Universal purchases.

Anyway, it's a marvelously fun little series. I really never watched it until TV-Land showed it a few years back, and it won me over in a hurry.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Maybe someone has an answer for this. I just bought Adam-12 and while watching the beginning promos for other Univeral dvd sets, I noticed that when Adam-12 was shown it had a different cover on it. Could this be the cover for season 2?

Anyways, I haven't seen this series in years and as the intro music started my spine got all tingly. I forgot how much I love this show.:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They probably changed the cover art after cutting the trailer. I know the Emergency art looked a little different when it was first announced, so maybe that's what happened.

I don't think I ever saw the first episode of Adam-12 until Tuesday, but it was funny how Jack Webb had Malloy talking just like Friday with his fast, clipped speeches. I don't remember him like that most of the time, so I'm guessing they cut away from being so much like Dragnet after a time.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
So much fun seeing these episodes uncut, and looking great. Had a slight freezing problem with the sixth episode, but that might have been an issue with my machine. Certainly hope this first season set sells well, and Universal releases more Adam 12 seasons (kind of like how Paramount is currently handling The Brady Bunch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks