AD Program captured my Browser!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bill Kane, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

In the past 24 hrs thru "regular" web surfing, my computer acquired a comml ad pgm that defaults my browser.
    In addn, a Microsoft Internet Explorer "problem" msg pops up.

The prime culprit is Stotch.com and its comml/ad hanger ons. Unwanted (duh) Pop ups with "offers" appear during accessing clicks.

So I went to INSTALL/UNINSTALL and found 3 or 4 likely lurkers and tried uninstall/reboot procedures. All down to the final "Interstitial" pgm which doesnt allow itself to the UNINSTALLED.

(I run WIN2000 and switched to Administrator log-in but still cant over ride.)

What next? Recommend a SPYWARE removal tool?

bill

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Get this program: Spybot Search and Destroy and run it. It will seek out any spyware or malware programs ane allow you to delete them. Be aware that if you have programs that are ad supported they may not work after running Spybot. The full version of Kazaa will not work any more after running Spybot, for example.

I use it on a regular basis and it keeps my system clean of any spyware or software that can hijack my browser.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

thx jim, I had seen info on SPYBOT for MS IE...

Do you find you need to access the update feature as advisable?

bill

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It only takes a few seconds to update. So I'd do it regularly.

Don't forget Adaware for a second level of protection.

B

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

msg removed pending still finding browser capture [​IMG]

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Mozilla. [​IMG]

Before you consider that to be a thread fart, you need to be aware that Mozilla is practically immune to these kinds of attacks and is compatible with maybe 98+% of the web sites that are out there.

7. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

You might also try Ad Aware. I use both and they seem to get rid of everything. As for updateing, run it every time. New ad-ware/spyware comes out all the time.

8. PrinzII

PrinzII Agent

I have Ad-Aware and Webroot's Spy Sweeper. Spy Sweeper has settings to prevent Brower Hijacking.

9. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Prinz, I think SpyBot does as well. It's been a while since I have looked...I am useing Linux more and more. But, any/all of the above should help. Just make sure you keep the back up, just in case.

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

update:

I installed SPYBOT and AD-AWARE.
    For me, neither (separately and in conjunction)wipe my computer clean of the hijacking. I am in reinfection mode, it seems.

I am trying to read in the spywareinfo website and come to realiza there is no universal panacea...

"Spying" isnt my worst dread as much as the continual popups (tht were never there w/ my Pop-UpStopper) and the intermittent slowdown or refusal to link to a site.

I have been using a router from Day One, too, and have kept IE6 at current updates. Re dumping IE for Mozilla: I am leery of not being able to back up or losing wanted files, or inadvertently transferring infection.

In the end, do hair-pullers just reformat the entire OS?!

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Hmmm ... You might try running "System Restore" (in your "System Utilities" folder.)

My Windows XP Home / IE combo was very recently hijacked in this fashion, and I found that by running "System Restore", and selecting a date to restore to just prior to the "hijacking", that everything returned to normal. (That would seem to indicate to me that this particular "hijacking" was being performed by a combination of registry entries pointing to modified or new DLLs in the Window's System folder. The end result was that no matter how many times I manually cleaned the Registry via Regedit, IE defaults would be "hijacked" again after a second launch. Like you, I found that Ad-Aware and other standard utilities were ineffective in ridding my system of this particular problem.)

My next step is to purchase a good Firewall System. I'm *really getting tired* of these "fly by registrations" which are now becoming more and more prevalent. In my case it occurred after opening an electronic "Birthday Greeting" someone sent me.

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

This might be an obvious question, but when you installed AdAware did you immediately download the newest reference file? They seem to be releasing a new one every other day lately.