AD Aware SE personal

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jassen M. West, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I tried downloading and running ad-aware SE personal and after a couple of seconds of running it activates the RPC shutdown. I thought it was the blaster worm from a year ago but the shutdown would only start after ad-aware was running. I uninstalled and ran spybot with no problems. Any ideas as to why this would happen. The PC is running XP home and looks to have SP2 installed. (the PC belongs to someone at work and i was helping them with it, so i don't know too much more about whats under the hood)
    thanks,
    jay

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I have almost exactly the same setup, no problems what so ever, been using it for quite a while too...Sorry I could not help more.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I have also been using it with no problems with XP Home, but I haven't installed SP2 yet.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

You might also download Javacool Software's SPYWAREBLASTER, which will stop any spyware resident in memory and works in conjunction with Spybot: S&D.

5. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

I installed and ran SE. I selected the options to "scan everything" and to list small problems(?). It may have gotten rid of some spyware, but it also deleted entire folders out of my IE favorites directory! The first time it did this, I was able to repair it by moving everything back out of Quarintine. At that point, I should have exported my favorites. I ran SE a second time, and this time the Favorites folders were gone for good. My last export of the Favorites was over a month old, so I imported my current Mozilla bookmarks just to try and keep current.

I've removed SE and put 6.181 back on. I'm using it until Ad Aware SE is no longer a beta build... [​IMG]

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You get the RPC shutdown message if you also have the blaster virus, even if dormant (true on newer PCs with SP1 installed or newer) Look for the msbb.exe file, see if it's running. Normally, it wouldn't work under SP1, but when Ad-Aware SE scans for it again, it starts it, and walla, you get that reaction.

7. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

That must be it,, thanks.