What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Marketing for Ad Astra appeared to suggest the central driving premise was baked around the search for life beyond the stars and a world-threatening event, but that isn’t really what the film is about. The threat to the solar system is a foundational layer upon which and entirely different journey is laid upon. Resolving the threat, addressing the question of “are we alone” isn’t something director James Gray is interested in answering. He cares more about how we as a species, collectively, have questions of what’s out there. I suppose, beneath the outward journey across the solar system, the universality and connected nature of our plight and potential as a species is the driving and simmering idea, and we follow that idea deeply, watching it take root and expression through Pitt’s character.
Ad Astra is a serious tale, letting its serious, ponderous tone permeate every moment up right to the closing seconds. Yet, despite all that seriousness, it manages to leave us with something...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just purchased this after reading your review Neil. I missed this in the theater and likely might have missed it on home video if not for your words.
The review has me intrigued, and was very well written!

Thank you so much.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was an interesting film for me, and one that I will eventually revisit. The ad campaign ruined this one for me in theaters because I felt the trailers were in no way representative of what the movie was - so I just felt like I was seeing something very different than what I had signed up for. Now that I know what it is, I’d like to revisit it with that understanding.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Just seen the film for the first time on 4k disc and Oled.
Knowing that it wasn’t ‘full on action’, I really enjoyed its more contemplative progress. Some of the science maybe a bit dodgy (explosions for propulsion and ‘surfing’ across the void), but it looks and sounds great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks