What's new

ACURUS - Upgrading to separates-ADVICE (1 Viewer)

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
OK folks. I need some feedback on an upgrade I’m looking at.

I’m currently running a set of PSB speakers (5T’s, 9C, 2B’s) with a Denon 80W 5.1 receiver (it’s been great). I have a chance to pick up some Acurus separates as follows:

ACT/3 Pre-processor (5.1ch)
A100x3 amp (100W x 3)
A100 amp (100 x 2)

Total cost $700

Any info or feedback you can give regarding these amps or this Pre-pro would be appreciated. I seem to get a little “anal” when it comes to culling info on my HT pieces/parts. These amps aren’t very heavy (the 3x is only 29lbs), but I hear that they pack a pretty good punch.

BrianT

Auditioning
Willie

I know I am late to the party on your post...anyway. I have currently have Acurus ACT-3 w/ABM. I also run PSB Silveri's. I use a Acurus 125x5. I use to run Century 600i's before getting the Silvers. I upgraded to the Acurus about 5 years ago from a Denon AVR-2800. I was very pleased with the upgrade.

I really like the Acurus equipment. I think that it really excels in two channel stereo reproduction. It also does a good job on home theater but it does not have all the bells and whistles of the new units (doesn't bother me). The Advanced Base Management is a very nice upgrade over the non-advanced management also. It allows you to adjust the cross overs for base on the various speakers. Another feature I like about the ACT-3 is that it allows you to set different settings for different input devices. For example on stereo reproduction I send the full signal to the Silver's with no sub, but on HT/DVD input I have a sub with the cross overs set to my listing preference.

The Acurus Amps are accurate and will drive just about any speaker. They will have no problem with your PSB's. I would not consider the amps warm sounding more accurate and sterile but not harsh by any means. Base extension is good but the best.

The biggest complaint I have with the set up is the remote. While is functional it confusing with with many of the buttons of the same shape and size. I have also lost some lights in the display of the ACT-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks