Acurus power switch LED problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I have three separate Acurus power amps (two 200x3 and one A150) and the green light on the on/off switch has gone bad on all three. (They start to flicker, and then go out altogether.) I'm not even depressing the switches -- they are always in the "on" position and the amps are sequenced on by my Panamax power controller.

I have had one replaced by my dealer, but I don't feel like going back for what seems like a temporary fix. Does anyone know if these Acurus switches are known to be bad? (The amps work fine otherwise.) Would it be easy to replace them with other, more reliable, LEDs?

Thanks

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The leds are known for going bad. I have seen and heard of it MANY times. Last I heard, mondial was fixing them for free, but you need to get the unit to them. AS for replacing, I don't think you are endangering anything. I understand it is annoying but if something has to burn out on the amp that is everyones first choice. [​IMG]
    Great theater you got!
    -rob

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Thanks Rob!

4. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Brian,

I emailed mondial tech support and the sent me a new one from the factory.. I had to pay the $15 for it but it has been fine since.

Craig

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If it's a LED it sounds like they're feeding AC into the LED--a design flaw that will make an LED fail in short order.

The LED should be supplied from a DC source. Then it'll last nearly forever.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

It's not the power supply to the LED that is the problem. It's the LED itself. I had two fail, 1 on a 100x3 that I sent back that they fixed for $95 I think (I had them check out the entire performance of the amp as I got it used), and 1 on a 200x3 I got later on.
    The replacement LEDs are a different type and manufacturer than the original, and neither have failed years later.
    BTW, they sent me the LED for free, but that was a while ago! [​IMG]

7. Kal

Kal Agent

Were they actaully LED's or little neon's?
    I bought a couple of Acurus amps from the older line back around 1997 that used neon lamps that tended to flicker and just plain stop working. Turns out that a new line has just been introduced (mostly cosmetic changes) that used green LED's instead. I swapped them in for the new line and they've been fine for the last 4-5 years.
    You have me worried now that the LED's are going to go on me... [​IMG] Are your amps like the ones in this photo?
    [​IMG]
    Kal

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

As to the distinct type of LED, all I know it that they were green! [​IMG]
    Plus, a little more detail: I had a 100x3, LED failed. Over a period of about 3 years, I went through 3 200x3's (long story; nothing wrong with the amps), and 1 of those LEDs failed.
    Because I liked Acurus so much, I *now* have 2 A200x3's (for a 6.1 system). The A200x3 has a different type. I haven't had any of those fail. And in fact Acurus/Mondial says that the new ones aren't like the old ones and shouldn't fail at all.
    Dude, hopefully you do something for air flow in your rack. [​IMG]

9. Kal

Kal Agent

Thanks for the info Kevin!
    "Dude, hopefully you do something for air flow in your rack."
    Yup! It's completely open in the back no problems at all with ventilation. It's actually considerably better then when I used to have the stuff shelved on 'normal' stands since now it's open on all sides except the front.
    Kal

10. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

I actually managed to break the green LED in my A200x3 when doing a little too aggressive cleaning inside it, but Mondial was nice enough to send me a couple replacements for free. It just slid on to the end of a bent wire. Is this the different design? Why would people need to send their whole unit back for repair?

Steve

11. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I just bought a used 200X3 and now I'm wondering about the "light". Has it been determinded whether or not it's a LED or a neon lamp or an incandescent lamp? BTW, mine is NOT an A200X3 (newer model with cosmetic changes like the big Acurus logo in the front panel cutout).

12. Kal

Kal Agent

Hank,

The newest version of the Acurus amp line can be seen in the photo above - these use LED's (not neon lamps).

Kal