1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Acurus Amp has feedback after shutdown!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I just got my new Acurus 200x3 amp and was really enjoying the benifits of running a seperate power amp. But when i shut it down i get a high pitched whine (not loud) but a whine that lasts about 10 seconds. It sounds like capacitors discharging, is this normal? I assume not, can anybody help me out?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

My 200x3 did that but I don't remember my A250 doing so. It may be a moot point, for if this is the amp for your fronts and center,you will soon find that these amps sound MUCH better when warm. Movies are no big deal but with 2ch music.....
    I left mine on 24/7 because I hated to wait for the warm-up time. Never had a problem.
    Jason

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

So this is normal? Just seems a bit irritating, Why does it do this? Like i said it's not loud, but can it eventually affect my tweeters?
    Craig

5. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

I have 3 A200x3's that I picked up brand new a couple of months ago, none of them behave the way you describe. But, if you really have a 200x3 then that is an older model and probably used, so who knows what it would do.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had 200x3's in the past, and I now have 2 A200x3's. None of them exhibited this.
    You're turning off your power amps *before* you other components, right?
    (You should power up your amps last when turning things on, and turn them off 1st when shutting things off. And, there's is about 15-30s after power down that the Acurus capacitors will discharge during which time you should wait to turn the other components off.)
    One thing you might want to consider is some sort of "power on sequencer." Furman has these, and a lot of "power centers" like Adcom, Monster, and Panamax. (But there are other problems with these "filtered" sequencers.) The Furman is a simple power on sequencer. This will get rid of your problem too.
    But I would check with Acurus/Mondial/Klipsch in that there may be something wrong with your amp.
    ------------------

7. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

No this is the A200x3, it's the newer version, I was powering it down last but i'll try it your way, thanks.
    By the way i've had several people say thats this normal.
    Craig

8. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

That isnt a normal thing for any amp to do.

9. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

According to Mondial this is perfectly normal, there are several people on the klipsch website that have the same thing with no adverse problems. So i guess some amps do do this!!
    Craig

10. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

Yeah, my 200x3 and my a250 both did that....I had them hooked up to Klipsch speakers, and with the high efficiency of them, that noise was REALLY loud....
    All the other Acurus amps at the dealer did it, Modial told me it was normal.....so I never worried about it.
    Oh, and I agree, leaving them on all the time means that thet are always warmed up, ready to go, and do sound better right away....
    Lanny
    ------------------

11. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks Lanny, I too have Klipsch speaks and that may be why it's more noticeable to me and others can't hear it due to the sensativity of Klipsch. Mine are 102db sensative.
    Craig

12. KenPitzner

KenPitzner Auditioning

My McCormack DNA .5 does that. My old Perreaux Power amp did that. It's pretty normal for many high end separate amps. But, not that annoying considering most people (including me) never shut them off unless moving, changing the system, or for a power outage.
    Ken

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have noticed "the capacitors discharging" if I turn the amps off first, and leave everything thing else on. I get like a hissing sound.
    If I use some type of power sequencer, Adcom ACE 515 or 615, I didn't get the sound. And now I have an Equitech balanced power unit. This is not a "power sequencer," but I have all my HT stuff (amps, pre/pro, source components: everything) plugged into the switched outlets. Everything turns on at the same time, and off at the same time (no "thumps, which is good), and the sound isn't there either. As soon as I trip the EquiTech switch, everything goes silent.
    Although to be honest, I can't quite figure out why manually shutting off power to the amps is any different from plugging them into something else, and shutting that off.
    Now, I had an Aragon 8008x3 for a while. The A200x3's big brother. This guy itself, went silent when it was powered down. Probably some cost cutting between the two!
    ------------------

14. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The Aragon amps have output relays. It's a part of the protection circuitry.
    I've go some old Adcom amps used for effects channels. They make all kinds of goofy noises when shutting down.