Acurus ACT3ABM Owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I'd like to know any positive/negative opinions on this pre-amp. I alredy have 2 Acurus amps and love them. I really want to go with seperate and Klipsch/Mondial are offering a further upgrade option to this pre-amp. I can get one new for under $700 right now, Do you think it's worth it? Please help!!

Craig

2. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Grab it. There is an upgrade program that was just announced a couple of weeks ago that makes the value of one of those closer to the $1400 range (for the 6 months prior to the upgrade announcement they were selling at around $700 or less). Worst comes to worse you can fleabay it for a tidy profit. I don't own an ACT3 myself, but they do seem to have a devoted following.

For details on the upgrade go to the acurus forum on klipsch.com.

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I've had the Act-3 for about a year and a half.
    Mondial is no longer building the Act-3 but will be allowing a upgrade to the current units owned. Check out the forum area on the Klipsch web site. www.klipsch.com
    Also you may want to read some of the reviews on Audio Review. http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Pream...9_2719crx.aspx
    I've been very happy with my Act-3 but am looking to upgrade to the new Aragon Stage One unit. If you plan on using this as a short term Pre/Pro you will find it to be quit reliable and great for HT and stereo. It does have some limitations due to it's age. But, a great value for $700.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I currently have a Sony TA-E9000ES, with 2 Acurus A200x3 amps (plus a DPL processor) to get 6.1.
    I was in the same boat about a month ago, looking at the ACT-3 (don't forget the ABM upgrade!).
    I actually found a brand new one for $695, but decided against it because it had 24 bit/48 kHz internal processing, whereas the current standard is at least 24/96.
    And now the Outlaw (and others) will have 24/192.
    Also, the ACT3 didn't have a digital out so that also was a factor.
    And, if you check around for reviews, the noise floor on the ACT is quite high. I tried getting confirmation if there was a design change or something later in the manufacturing run to get rid of it, but I never got a final answer.
    I found reviews on www.ecoustics.com, www.hometheaterhifi.com, and audioreview.
    But of course, the upgrade makes it a brand new game.
    It *is* one of the nices looking pre/pros out there!