Acurus ACT3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan Hine, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hey everyone,

I'm considering picking up an Acurus Act 3. It has not been upgraded yet. Should I purchase it, do I have to go through my closest Acurus dealer or can I go to Mondial directly to get the upgrade? Also, while doing a search I didn't see too many thought out opinions of this product...just either "I like Acurus" or "I don't like what I've heard." Could anyone give me their thoughts on this product or on Acurus preamps in general? Thanks!

- Dan

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

The upgrade is handled directly thru Mondial, you can find info at www.aragonelectronics.com, click on the "Upgrade Program" link on the right side of the page. you'll need to hurry, tho, as the upgrade is only available until the end of this month.
    i had an Act-3 as the centerpiece of my ht for about four years and it was a very good pre/pro. i've since replaced it with an Aragon Stage One (another Mondial product), doing so during their trade in program. i have not listened to an upgraded Act-3, but it is supposed to be similar to the Stage One, a big step up imo.
    due to the much improved sound quality and added functionallity that the upgrade provides, i'd only buy the Act-3 if you are going to get the upgrade.
    there is also a forum at aragon website, you can get opinions from people who have done the upgrade and see what they think.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Craig,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll have to pass on the ACT3 then. I really couldn't afford to do the upgrade right away...add on some other unexpected expenses and I definitely couldn't afford it now. I guess I'll have to wait for another deal to come along. Thanks again!

- Dan Hine