What's new

Acurus a200x3 ? (1 Viewer)

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I presently have a Marantz SR7000 powering Def.Tech. Procinema 100's.I recently have been offered an Acurus A200x3 for 400.00.I've heard some much talk on how adding an amp. makes everything sound better that i may get the amp.My question is considering my setup would it really be worth it or would i just be spending money.By the way my system does sound great like it is but i'm sure there is always room for improvement.Thanks in advance.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
If you don't buy that Acurus, give me the link so I can........ and if you do buy it and then want to sell it, I'll give your money back on it.........

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Acurus makes very nice amps. I myself have the A125x5, the 5 channel little brother to the A200. The A125x5 is much more powerful then the Integra 5.1 and the Marantz SR7200 I owned in the past. So I would imagine the A200 would improve your sound as well.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
For owners of this Acurus A200x3 amp or anyone who knows about it, what's the average price these go for or what have you paid?

Aaron

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
$550-650 used. would probably be considered fair depending on condition.

$400 is really low. Guys on ebay try to get that for the a150.

-rob

Kevin T

Screenwriter
that is a great price for the acurus amp. i previously owned the 200five model and it was great but sold it due to upgraditis. i'm now running an aragon 8008x3b and an aragon 8008bb. they are superb and definitely better than the acurus. be careful when adding amps...they can become very addictive quick and it soon becomes all too easy to justify spending more (up to a certain level).

kevin t

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's a good price. I got both of mine on closeout last year, for $700-800 each.

BTW, Stereo Review tested the older 200x3 a while ago, and got 350W into 8 ohms, 550W into 4 ohms. Very conservatively rated. Great sound. Awesome customer service if ever you need it...

Anny Chien

Agent
The Acurus is bright sounding amp. I would go with a Parasound or if you can find a deal on a Eartquake Cinenova grande brand new for $900 like my friend did.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I personally don't find Acurus amps bright. (And I have owned a 100x3, 2 200x3's, and now 2 A200x3's. I even tried an Aragon 8008x3 for a while.) I find them very accurate, very detailed, and very neutral. If there are problems with the quality of a source, Acurus amplification will not hide that, unlike other amps that come across as "warm" ...

Kevin T

Screenwriter
two kevins agree:

acurus and aragon amps are not bright at all. very neutral. the aragon's are a bit more revealing than the acurus which is a good and bad thing at times. i can't speak for the parasound or cinenova but i'm sure they're fine amps. however, at $400 for the acurus, ricky can't go wrong.

kevin t

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've just added an Acurus A250 to my system to drive the mains and have just been amazed at the transformation in the dynamics. I have a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver and even though I ws very happy with it, the upgraditis set in and here I went. I am sure now that I will continue with upgrading eventually to a true pre-pro setup.

Now to the Acurus..... It is driving a pair of 25 year old JBL L100. They have simply "come alive" with that kind of power going to them. Very dynamic and clean. Also have noticed that my surrounds seem to be a lot more involved now since the Yammie doesn't have to power the mains anymore. I can say, the hair on the back on my neck stands up when I turn this system up but it certainly isn't a "warm" sound. I much prefer the brighter side of things if that is what you call it. Two channel is much more dynamic and powerful but the change in the 8 channel setup is even more dramatic.

This addition to my system has me excited about going through my DVD collection again.

These Acurus amps are really something... I just can't imagine what an Aragon would sound like....

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
The Acurus is bright sounding amp.
That statement alone means nothing. What is the source, and supporting electronics in the chain? I had an Acurus 5 x 125 in my system for a few days several years ago, I also had an ATI and Marantz amp at the same time. With my B&W speakers I owned at that time, I preferred the Acurus. I now own Aragon amps because I was so impressed with the Acurus line. They run Class A up to 25 watts and double wattage into 4 ohms, they will drive any speaker well.
I have had them for over 2 years powering my N804 mains, center + surrounds. The best way to decide is put the amp in YOUR system. Audition before you buy unless you can get a really good deal, in that case you could probably sell it without a loss. Good luck!:)

Anny Chien

Agent
well coming from a tube user, I like warmer sounding amps such as the parasound, plinius, Musical Fidelity, Earthquake Cinenova, etc. IMHO, if I compared the acurus with a parasound, I would choose the parasound. The Cinenova for $900 is a great price and retails for $2500.

Anny Chien

Agent
$550-650 used. would probably be considered fair depending on condition.

$400 is really low. Guys on ebay try to get that for the a150.

-rob

Now you say the acurus is $400 and that's used. $900 for a brand new cinenova is a steal. Your right that the Cinenova and Acurus are different amps. The Acurus isn't even in the same league as the Cinenova. All I'm saying is to spend a little more so you don't have to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks