Acurus A100x3 or Rotel RB 993 or ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Hartwig Hanser, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

I am looking for a new 3 channel amp and found those two in my price range (used/ebay). Has anybody compared those two? Or are there other good 3 channel amps in a price range say below $1000?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Hartwig

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I have found Rotel to be a tad more laid-back than Acurus when I have listened. Acurus tends to be pretty detailed ... with speakers that might tend to be bright (klipsch, polk, def tech) it might be a bad combination. I use an Acurus 200x3 (front LCR) and A80 (rear LR) with Dynaudio Contours and it is an excellent combination. If your speakers are bright the Rotel might tame it a bit. If your speakers are difficult to drive the Acurus might be a good choice, as it is a high current design that will always pump out enough power. If your speakers are warmish, the Acurus might bring the overall sound back toward neutrality.

Personally I'd buy either, as well as NAD or Parasound, either new or used. Acurus would probably be the most neutral to detailed of these brands. The others are all slightly warmer.

HTH

3. Hartwig Hanser

Elinor, thanks for your reply. My speakers are B&W CDM 7NT and corresponding center. I think they are rather neutral. Up to now I used a Rotel 956AX (6x 40 Watt) in biamping mode. I like the sound, but feel that I need a bit more power, expecially for demanding music in stereo or SACD multichannel.

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I would think the Acurus would be a great match for B&Ws. You might even consider bumping the power level up a bit and waiting for one of the 150, 200, or 250 wpc amps.

5. Gary Sedlack

Gary Sedlack Agent

Go to your local new stand and pick up a copy of Home Theater Buyer's Guide 2005> It lists nearly everything on the market and gives list prices. You can let your fingers do the walking. Then do an in home demo with the ones that appeal to you and have fun.

Gary

6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Everything Elinor said.....

7. Hartwig Hanser

Unfortunately I am in Germany where I do not know of such a publication. Does anything like that exist online?

Thanks for all the answers.

8. Hartwig Hanser

Just to follow up (since I find it unsatifactory to answer requests without learning of the end of story): I bought an Acurus A 100x3 second hand from privat (not ebay) for 460 Euro (about 600$). I am very content, the sound is clearer and in loud passages more powerful than before. Likewise the surround sound has improved, since the Rotel 956 now powers my surrounds and replaces a lesser amp there.

So, I am very satisfied and would like to thank again you for your help.

Afterthought: 2 weeks after the purchase there was a Rotel 993 on ebay which went for more than 800 $. I think I made the right choice.

9. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Hartwig, I am glad to hear that the Acurus amp has worked well for you.

I am very happy with mine. Acurus will give you years and years of good service.

Great choice, enjoy [​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had Acurus amps in my system for gosh, maybe 8 years. Really liked them. Great performance for the price. Congrats! [​IMG]

11. Hartwig Hanser

I edited the price. I was tired and miscalculated the Dollar amout, so the price is not THAT sensational, but still OK , I think. Thanks anyway for your comments!