Actually putting bookshelf speakers in a bookshelf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Gregory, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Gregory

Jeff Gregory Auditioning

I'm in the midst of designing an in-wall entertainment unit where I would ideally like to put my Paradigm bookshelf speakers (mini monitors) and center channel (CC-370) in the cabinet. Keeping in mind how important speaker placement is, I'm wondering if this presents any problems with a rear ported speaker as both the minis and the cc-370 are. For example, should there be a certain amount of space behind the speaker or on the top and sides so as not to affect the speakers sonic accuracy? If this is a bad idea altogether, should I perhaps invest in speakers that are ported at the front? Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Having a port in the rear would just be the start of your problems. Most speakers sound alot better when they are placed further out in the room. I'm sure there are others here that can give you a more technical explanation.

Regards

KrisM

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

As long as the space behind the speaker isn't airtight. You need to allow for free air to move around the enclosure. Also, I read someplace that as long as the mouth of the port is at least it's own diameter from the back of the cabinet you should be fine. The only other issue you might run into is port noise being projected forward out of the cabinet. (the reason speakers are ported in the rear is in an attempt to dissipate port noise) If it's a noticable problem, You could stick some sort of damping material behind the speaker (wool, fiberglass,.. just something to keep any port noise from reflecting forwards.)