Actual receiver power question.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eddie Horton, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

How much power do you think my Yamaha HTR-5790 is actually putting out? It's supposedly 110x7, but I doubt it. Somewhere a while back, I remember seeing some formulas to calculate the actual numbers, but I don't remember where.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you read though the manual, you will see that the 110 watts are with 2 channels driven. The actual power will be much lower when all channels are being driven - in the range of 40 - 55 watts. However, for many years, I got wrapped up in the watts game. It's better to not worry too much about it because, when paired with the right speakers, you receiver will be able to comfortably play at reference levels (or above) for your movie viewing pleasure. [​IMG]

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Hey! Would someone repost the link to power ratings of tested recievers? I am on the road again at Vegas.

4. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

5. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Wayne. Man, I don't know how I missed that in the manual. I read every manual for everything I buy cover to cover, but in this case, that got missed. Guess the excitement got to me when I was first hooking it up. Anyway, I'm about to plunk down the money on my speaker system, and was still kicking around the idea of getting an amp, but if what you say is correct, I shouldn't need one. The speakers have a sensitivity rating of 92dB.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Eddie,

In regards to going with a separate amp, there are several reasons why one might choose to do so in addition to adding more power. Some people just prefer to use their receiver as a pre/pro and unload the amplification duties to a dedicated separate amp. Others add an amp because some claim that the sound can be changed a bit by doing so.

7. PeterTinios

PeterTinios Auditioning

Hi Everyone,

I came across this discussion, and have a few questions about power output as well.

I bought my htr 5790 about a month ago, I have no problems with it, my only question is how does Yamaha rate there power wattage compared to H/K.

My unit is a Canadian one and it states 110 watts min rms
    and dynamic at 140 watts both figures on 8 ohms per channel

I am running a 5.1 system watt kind of power am I running with all 5 running as well with the two mains running.

Cheers Peter