What's new

Actors who failed to live up to their potential (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
John Davis Chandler

See, you've never heard of him, which makes the point.
He had the title roll in Mad Dog Coll (1961)...also happened to be Gene Hackman's first movie. Chandler was hypnotic and creepy as Coll. His next film, the same year was The Young Savages, he played a delinquent. After that came a series of villains in 60's and 70s westerns. His last work was as "Zeb" in Carnisaur 2(1995).

"Jesse Bradford - superb at age 14 in King of the Hill..."

Jesse is a regular on The West Wing.

Jeffries Jones

Auditioning
What about F. Murray Abraham, who won an Oscar for his performance in Amadeus? The last I heard from him is that he was playing Scrooge in the musical version of The Christmas Carol.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I agree. Film is subjective. It shouldn't matter if it sucks by most accounts. Sorry to sound so confrontational like that, but you guys really ought to see it. It's a character study, like Taxi Driver, but instead of narration there's music. I thought it rocked the house. Hell, Michael Mann made it. It has to be worth seeing at least once, right?

BTW, there'll be a director's cut in June.

Sorry to derail the thread, carry on-

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Mark Hamill.

Cmon, the star of one of the most popular film franchises of all time (Star Wars, duh) and his best role since has been being the voice of the Joker in the animated Batman series'.

Nick Hallett

Agent
I personally have a deep fear that the LOTR cast will end up like the Star Wars cast. Granted, onw or two might end up with a carreer like Harrison Ford, but I could also see Viggo Mortenson in Hidalgo being the equivalent of Mark Hamill in Corvette Summer...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Naah, Viggo's got street cred due to a number of great performances, Daylight notwithstanding. I don't think he's interested in being a movie star, I think he's interested in being an actor.

Diana Ross probably was more interested in her music career than a film career, and perhaps felt she proved all she needed to prove with her 70's work.

F. Murray Abraham had the greatest role of his life with Amadeus, what is he ever going to do that could top it? I would love for him to do some Shakespeare on screen -- perhaps one of these days he'll hook up with Branagh for a big-screen adaptation of The Tempest or The Merchant of Venice.

Mark Hamill had that terrible car accident, the result of which was plastic surgery that sort of ruined his boyish looks -- that's why the opening of Empire shows Luke getting his face mauled by the Wampa, to explain what happened to Luke's boyish visage. He was also acclaimed in the stage production of Amadeus (and ironically enbough, also did a well-received turn as Scrooge in a radio-version of the Disckens tale).

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the Star Wars cast doesn't even have as many actors. I mean, Carrie Fisher just simply decided she didn't want to be a career actress anymore.

And Mark Hamill's turn as the Joker, while not exactly propelling him to the top of the Hollywood heiarchy, kicks ass, and kicks more ass then Jack's Joker ever did. I'd love to see what he could do with a live-action performance.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly,Christian Slater is playing Jack Nicolson in a new biography film about the actor.

Jennifer Beals
Annabeth Gish
Ione Skye
Heather Graham
Alicia Silverstone - Seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

She was the best part of the unsuccessfully retooled X-Files. I hope the failure of that effort doesn't hurt her future prospects.

M.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Vincenzo is making Law and Order: Criminal Intent the most (perhaps the only) interesting incarnation of L&O, and he's creating one of the more idiosyncratic, intriguing characters on network TV (sounds like I'm damning him with faint praise--I'm not). The show was originally intended (not a pun, sorry) to show things from the criminal's point-of-view, but my guess is that Vinnie lobbied more and more to make it a modern take on the Sherlock Holmes thing.

Now that he's been given an arch-rival-criminal-mastermind nemesis to play off of from time-to-time, the show has gotten even better, and his character (about which occasional, small revelations have been made) more dense.

If you've been put off because you're not a fan of the other L&O series, you ought to give it a try. It takes place in a somewhat different, more fantastic (if not more contrived) version of the L&O "universe."

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Michael Keaton recently.

For sure, he's had a pretty decent career, but he hasn't been doing much lately. Does he just pop-in from time to time when he needs the money or something? I like just about all of his movies, including Multiplicity. He was good in Jackie Brown in his limited role. I think that Live From om Baghdad was his re-entry into being a mainstream actor again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks