1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Actors call Project Greenlight "A Fraud"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well based on their comments and having watched the show I can believe what they are saying. It does sound like HBO followed the lead of shows like Real World and used editing to create whatever show they wanted to, especially if the representation of the shoot was focused only on a few actual days from it.

I think the show would be better off just committing 30 minutes to each day of the shoot and having more episodes. I would watch even the mundane "no contraversy" shows just to see the process in action. I hope HBO considers taking that moral high road in the future.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the link, Chris. That was an interesting read.
    I'm not surprised that actors like Pollak and Quinn spoke out, as I'd be pretty annoyed if I was made to look like a grumpy jerk. Project Greenlight is still better than Big Brother though! [​IMG]

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, Pollack especially came off in a terrible light, IMO.

5. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I don't know why they seem so surprised...if a documentary were made about your workplace for television, what parts do you think they would show? That's right, just the dramatic parts...just like how the evening news only shows you the stuff they think will keep you watching their channel, not the actual news that's out there.

6. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Yeah, Quinn and Pollack come off as a-holes, of course they're not going to like it. Remember the scene where they are shooting the baseball game in the rain? Pollock's whining about it being cold and all this crap...what a Hollywood jackass.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just by watching the series, it was obvious that they edited it to only show the tense and difficult moments on the set (they only showed footage from about 3 or 4 days out of 25).

I had hoped for a less sensationalistic show documenting the filmmaking process, so I would have been happy with less drama, but in the end I don't have a problem with it, because it made for a good show. Also, they couldn't show too much without spoiling the movie.

Of course, they got a lot of publicity this way, which i think will help the movie more than it will hurt it.

I can understand that the participants feel disappointed though, since they obviously had a different overall experience than what the show portrayed.

Maybe the next time they will show more about the actual filmmaking than about the little arguments on the set.