1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Actors/Actresses You Dislike or Like

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Keith Cobby, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, I'm not going to get into the motivations as to why people like or dislike a particular actor because I don't know any of you well enough to make such a determination. Speaking for myself, now that I'm entering my senior years, it's my choice to focus my limited energy on not disliking actors and celebrities in general.

2. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The subject of whether one "dislikes" an actor because of what they do outside of the movie or TV screen is an entirely different subject and would get us into verboten areas (I can name a gaggle who I would say I boycott for reasons we can't discuss but I won't). I will say that when an actor becomes *notorious* the question of can I suspend my disbelief does factor in. I can handle watching O.J. Simpson on-screen in a dramatic part like "Capricorn One" or "Towering Inferno" because I'm drawn into the story. OTOH, I can't suspend my disbelief to laugh at pratfalls of his in the Naked Gun movies. I can watch Bill Cosby in "I Spy" but I can never watch him as Dr. Huxtable or dispensing wisdom on Fat Albert again.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I thought the object of criticism in my post was rather obvious, but maybe not.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Let me be clear here! When I say I'm not going to get into the motivations why some posters on this forum doesn't like a particular actor, it might be as simple as not liking that actor's face, voice, mannerisms or acting style which has nothing to do with that other stuff as I call it. Frankly, I try not to think too deeply about any actor. I have more important things to do with my limited deep thinking.:)

Robin9 likes this.
  5. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I was surprised a few days ago when watching the very good Blu-ray disc of Naked Alibi to find Gene Barry giving a pretty good performance. Normally I don't like him at all, but on the other hand he was only ever a second string movie star. I think Burke's Law on TV made him a big name.

6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Richard Gere and Jessica Alba are 2 actors I don’t care for because I don’t think they’re good actors. I can’t think of a film that I purposely avoided just because of who the actors are.

7. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but some of my all-time favorites are people I don't think I'd have liked if I'd ever met them. There are also actors and actresses I don't much like but who, from what I gather, were admirable in their private life.

8. Message #48 of 79 Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I wouldn't go as far to say I dislike him, but Mickey Rooney definitely was never one of my favorites.

I'll skip the various ones that I have a personal reason outside of the silver screen for disliking and won't mention out of respect for the forum and possible fans that do like them, and just mention two that I don't have the slightest clue why it is that I don't like them.

Those two would be Cloris Leachman and Angela Lansbury. They're both fine actresses, but for some reason that I myself don't even know, I just don't care for them. I have no reason why, so I assume it's just something about some of their roles that they perhaps did too good of a job at, that my head mysteriously holds against them for some reason (Like the latter's role in Gaslight).

My mom similarly doesn't know why, but she also hates Barbara Stanwyck like some others apparently do. I always thought it was just her (I'm definitely a fan), but she'll be happy to know she has some company.

One that I've seen here before and will never understand, is how people can not be June Allyson fans. My father is also one of those people, but I can't see how anyone could not love her.

Thomas T likes this.
  9. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Isn't it better to have a thread on actors you like?

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Nah, people are more likely to share their negative thoughts on something or someone than their positive thoughts of the same.:D

JohnRice likes this.
  11. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Yes but when you read that title, you know instinctively it's not right! :) It's like a magnet for only negative thoughts. In a normal thread you have both.

12. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Fun thread. To each his own, I guess. I love Katharine and will watch her in anything....and my #1 favorite is Marlene. That's primarily because of her von Sternberg films, which are my absolute favorites of any films, in which Marlene plays an important part of the decor. :)

For some reason I've never really liked Judy G. She's fine in OZ and I couldn't see anyone else in the part, but I've never warmed to her other films (except MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, which I love). I don't dislike her, I just don't make a point of watching them.

13. Message #53 of 79 Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Fair enough! I just changed the thread title for "Like" too so this thread isn't completely negative.

SamT likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Not in any particular order except for the first listed are my 10 Actors/Actresses that are my favorites which means I really like them:

John Wayne
    John Garfield
    James Cagney
    Humphrey Bogart
    Burt Lancaster
    Errol Flynn
    Robert Mitchum
    Steve McQueen
    Paul Newman
    Sidney Poitier

Barbara Stanwyck
    Katharine Hepburn
    Gloria Grahame
    Thelma Ritter (That's right:))
    Linda Darnell
    Ella Raines
    Claire Trevor
    Gail Russell
    Susan Hayward
    Olivia De Havilland

bujaki and SamT like this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    By the way, my listing is made of actors/actresses strictly from the classic film era as there are current actors/actresses working today that I really like such as Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Jodie Foster and Gugu Mbatha-Raw to name a few.

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

A celebrity has to expose their real personality at a great enough level for me to care enough to hate them. Right now, I can think of several that presently fill that bill and one, especially, in particular. Unfortunately, they will remain unnamed as bringing some of them up would be flogging a dead horse and the other crosses into banned territory on this site.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Well, listing those we like means I can be a lot less inhibited!

Robert Mitchum
    Cary Grant
    David Niven
    Fred Astaire
    John Payne
    Robert Taylor
    Sean Connery
    Richard Widmark
    John Wayne
    Joel McCrea

Linda Darnell
    Claudia Cardinale
    Rita Hayworth
    Cyd Charisse
    Lana Turner
    Carole Lombard
    Gina Lollobrigida
    Mary Astor
    Rhonda Fleming
    Kim Novak

I will watch these people in almost anything, even really bad movies. Rhonda Fleming, for example, made a truly awful film called Tropic Zone which I can tolerate because she looks so fantastic.

Keith Cobby likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I've always been good at compartmentalizing stuff. As my "Like" listing includes people that I had issues with personally, but, still enjoys watching their movies. I've read some books or biographies on some of them.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    There are several people you have listed that are favorites of mine too and are close to being in my top ten like Grant and Widmark.

20. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

I've participated in a thread on another forum dedicated to the appreciation of Audrey Hepburn. I watch some of her movies, and I pretty much fall in love with her.

SamT likes this.