1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Actors/Actresses You Dislike or Like

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Keith Cobby, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Not all of us as I don't have anybody that I disliked enough that would entail me from watching a movie. Now, I have favorite actors, but, that's about it.

JohnMor and Jack K like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Do people really dislike Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck?:D

JohnMor likes this.
  3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I don't dislike Stanwyck, but I think she was sometimes miscast. I've seen her in roles where we're supposed to see her as a great beauty and I can't make that leap.

Don't get me wrong - she was an attractive woman. However, she wasn't Bacall or Hayworth, and some of those roles seem to want us to see her in that light!

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I've pretty much implemented an embargo on Kevin Spacey television and films for reasons that don't have anything to do with his acting abilities. I just have a difficult time watching anything with him in it now; which is a shame because he has appeared in some terrific features.

Usually I can separate the personal from the professional, but not in this particular case.

- Walter.

Greg.K likes this.
  5. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    I cant explain why, but I cant stand Jude Law. Havent liked him in anything and try to avoid anything hes in.

As far as older films go I have a lot of favorites, but no one comes to mind that I just cant stand.

6. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Can't stand him. Will never watch a movie he's in. Don't like Katharine Hepburn either. Henry Fonda seems very dull to me. I also find Matthew McConaughey very dull. I loathe Michelle Rodriguez.

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Another vote for (against?) Will Ferrell. I absolutely can not stand him and will not watch a movie with him if he's on screen at all. His presence has ruined several movies for me.

Danny Kaye is a "classic" actor I just don't care for. There are a few movies he's in I'll watch but it's very few.

Shelly Winters is almost as bad for me as Ferrell. I just don't like her in anything.

I also don't care for Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland if they're in starring roles. I can usually tolerate them if they're in a supporting/minor role but not in starring roles.

8. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    My pet hate as actors include Tom Cruise and Lawrence Olivier. Both ,in my opinion ,are very overrated . Olivier was better suited to the stage but failed as a film actor. One only has to watch THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL to see this. Favourites include Katherine Hepburn whom I saw on stage in Boston:Elizabeth Taylor (saw on stage in London);Irene Papas (saw on stage in NYC) The much troubled Vivien Leigh ( stood next to her when she was buying a packet of live savers at the movies.) Robert Morley (much underrated - you need to see him in OSCAR WILDE to see how great an actor that he was.Anthony Quinn - was there ever a better person to play ZORBA? Charles Laughton- proving that looks are not important;;Vincent Price when I saw him on stage in his one man show.. .Jean Peters -truly up there as a much loved favourite of mine.Imogene Coco -fantastic on stage. Debbie Reynold's -impossible to dislike.Leslie Caron (saw also on stage).Too many favourites to list as there are scores of favourites.

9. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    Danny Kaye also was a conductor-did you know that.?A very talented person. He once conducted an orchestra at the Sydney Opera House.

10. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    Loved Mickey Rooney on stage -saw him twice.

11. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    There is a difference between a STAR and an actor.

Thomas T likes this.
  12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I don't care for Katharine Hepburn in particular either. Just never found her compelling. Melina Mercouri I also put in the dislike category (and very overrated in the looks department)

James Garner I love in "Maverick" yet I always end up not caring for him in most every other project I see him in. Was never a fan of "Rockford Files". Disliked him in "Americanization of Emily." Totally miscast in "Grand Prix" (in what is a Steve McQueen type part). Competent in "36 Hours" but Rod Taylor came off as more interesting and should have had the lead role IMO. Okay in "Great Escape" but that's a big ensemble piece where others come off more memorable.

13. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Personal contact...Eddie Murphy (Nutty Professor), David Boreanaz (Bones) and Scott Glenn (can't remember movie title).

Out of the hundreds of actors I've dealt with, those are the only ones that were jerks that I remember.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Absolutely! Joan Crawford is a good example. An absolutely riveting screen presence. You can't take your eyes off her. The quintessential movie star. But as an actress? Pauline Kael summed it nicely in two succinct statements: re: Grand Hotel: "A startlingly sexy minx named Joan Crawford bears only a slight resemblance to the later zombie of that name." re: Mildred Pierce: "Miss Crawford's heavy breathing was certified as acting when she won an Academy Award."

AnthonyClarke likes this.
  15. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

There are always exceptions. As much as I dislike Henry Fonda, I'll give him his due when he gives a rare good performance like The Lady Eve or The Wrong Man. I've even liked Teresa Wright once ... in Track Of The Cat.

16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    No one said otherwise, but at the point I made that statement, only big stars were being discussed.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't have any dislike for actors like some have expressed in this thread. Life is too short to be disliking actors for any reason as I rather spend my energy on other things.

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I've only seen one movie he's in, and it's pretty awesome. I know better than to see any of the others.

19. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm with you. I won't dig into my upbringing, but I've had quite enough of deriving enjoyment from finding things to dislike, thank you very much.

20. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I don't see any "deriving enjoyment" from simply registering an honest view that some performers we end up getting exposed to multiple times over the course of watching films and TV will sometimes exude a quality in their professional work that makes it hard to connect. There's no malice, it's just registering a legitimate subjective viewpoint honed from our watching experiences which is not simply "any reason."

Thomas T likes this.