What's new

Actors/Actresses You Dislike or Like (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We all have our pet dislikes. My wife's is Henry Fonda. Mine is Barbara Stanwyck. They probably wouldn't care for us either. My absolute favourites are Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers and Peter Lorre. What a movie they would have made together!
Not all of us as I don't have anybody that I disliked enough that would entail me from watching a movie. Now, I have favorite actors, but, that's about it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Do people really dislike Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck?:D

I don't dislike Stanwyck, but I think she was sometimes miscast. I've seen her in roles where we're supposed to see her as a great beauty and I can't make that leap.

Don't get me wrong - she was an attractive woman. However, she wasn't Bacall or Hayworth, and some of those roles seem to want us to see her in that light!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've pretty much implemented an embargo on Kevin Spacey television and films for reasons that don't have anything to do with his acting abilities. I just have a difficult time watching anything with him in it now; which is a shame because he has appeared in some terrific features.

Usually I can separate the personal from the professional, but not in this particular case.

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I cant explain why, but I cant stand Jude Law. Havent liked him in anything and try to avoid anything hes in.

As far as older films go I have a lot of favorites, but no one comes to mind that I just cant stand.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Contemporary actor - Will Ferrell.

Can't stand him. Will never watch a movie he's in. Don't like Katharine Hepburn either. Henry Fonda seems very dull to me. I also find Matthew McConaughey very dull. I loathe Michelle Rodriguez.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another vote for (against?) Will Ferrell. I absolutely can not stand him and will not watch a movie with him if he's on screen at all. His presence has ruined several movies for me.

Danny Kaye is a "classic" actor I just don't care for. There are a few movies he's in I'll watch but it's very few.

Shelly Winters is almost as bad for me as Ferrell. I just don't like her in anything.

I also don't care for Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland if they're in starring roles. I can usually tolerate them if they're in a supporting/minor role but not in starring roles.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My pet hate as actors include Tom Cruise and Lawrence Olivier. Both ,in my opinion ,are very overrated . Olivier was better suited to the stage but failed as a film actor. One only has to watch THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL to see this. Favourites include Katherine Hepburn whom I saw on stage in Boston:Elizabeth Taylor (saw on stage in London);Irene Papas (saw on stage in NYC) The much troubled Vivien Leigh ( stood next to her when she was buying a packet of live savers at the movies.) Robert Morley (much underrated - you need to see him in OSCAR WILDE to see how great an actor that he was.Anthony Quinn - was there ever a better person to play ZORBA? Charles Laughton- proving that looks are not important;;Vincent Price when I saw him on stage in his one man show.. .Jean Peters -truly up there as a much loved favourite of mine.Imogene Coco -fantastic on stage. Debbie Reynold's -impossible to dislike.Leslie Caron (saw also on stage).Too many favourites to list as there are scores of favourites.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Another vote for (against?) Will Ferrell. I absolutely can not stand him and will not watch a movie with him if he's on screen at all. His presence has ruined several movies for me.

Danny Kaye is a "classic" actor I just don't care for. There are a few movies he's in I'll watch but it's very few.

Shelly Winters is almost as bad for me as Ferrell. I just don't like her in anything.

I also don't care for Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland if they're in starring roles. I can usually tolerate them if they're in a supporting/minor role but not in starring roles.

Danny Kaye also was a conductor-did you know that.?A very talented person. He once conducted an orchestra at the Sydney Opera House.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Yes, that was part of his Private Screenings interview series. Mickey was discussing director Roy Rowland, and the incident happened on Killer McCoy when Mickey took offense at some direction and walked off the set and the lot. What was particularly disappointing about that interview is that so many of Mickey's movies went undiscussed since it seems like that outburst kind of ended the interview.
Loved Mickey Rooney on stage -saw him twice.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't care for Katharine Hepburn in particular either. Just never found her compelling. Melina Mercouri I also put in the dislike category (and very overrated in the looks department)

James Garner I love in "Maverick" yet I always end up not caring for him in most every other project I see him in. Was never a fan of "Rockford Files". Disliked him in "Americanization of Emily." Totally miscast in "Grand Prix" (in what is a Steve McQueen type part). Competent in "36 Hours" but Rod Taylor came off as more interesting and should have had the lead role IMO. Okay in "Great Escape" but that's a big ensemble piece where others come off more memorable.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Personal contact...Eddie Murphy (Nutty Professor), David Boreanaz (Bones) and Scott Glenn (can't remember movie title).

Out of the hundreds of actors I've dealt with, those are the only ones that were jerks that I remember.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There is a difference between a STAR and an actor.

Absolutely! Joan Crawford is a good example. An absolutely riveting screen presence. You can't take your eyes off her. The quintessential movie star. But as an actress? Pauline Kael summed it nicely in two succinct statements: re: Grand Hotel: "A startlingly sexy minx named Joan Crawford bears only a slight resemblance to the later zombie of that name." re: Mildred Pierce: "Miss Crawford's heavy breathing was certified as acting when she won an Academy Award."

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Do people really dislike Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck?:D

There are always exceptions. As much as I dislike Henry Fonda, I'll give him his due when he gives a rare good performance like The Lady Eve or The Wrong Man. I've even liked Teresa Wright once ... in Track Of The Cat.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I for instance would cheerfully watch a live broadcast of Adam Sandler being flogged!!
I've only seen one movie he's in, and it's pretty awesome. I know better than to see any of the others.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't have any dislike for actors like some have expressed in this thread. Life is too short to be disliking actors for any reason as I rather spend my energy on other things.
I'm with you. I won't dig into my upbringing, but I've had quite enough of deriving enjoyment from finding things to dislike, thank you very much.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't see any "deriving enjoyment" from simply registering an honest view that some performers we end up getting exposed to multiple times over the course of watching films and TV will sometimes exude a quality in their professional work that makes it hard to connect. There's no malice, it's just registering a legitimate subjective viewpoint honed from our watching experiences which is not simply "any reason."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks