Actor Credit Terms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Can anyone point me to a site that explains the intricacies of television or movie credits.

"Starring", "Guest Starring", "With", "and", "as (insert character name)".

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Mods, could you move this thread to "Movies"?

3. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

With regards that request, how do you "guest star" in a movie? I think the thread is at least as appropriate here as it is in movies.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I know that "And XXXX XXXXXX as XXXXX XXXX" when appearing last in the opening credits is considerred second most favorable to above the title. Generally you'll see this with someone with star power who is not the lead character. You will also see it when someone is "big" but not as big as the names above the credits.

Guest starring means the person is a guest on a program, but is not a regular. They may be central to the story, or they may be secondary. I've never understood why Heather Locklear was a "guest star" on Melrose Place for years, since I was under the impression she was a core cast member, if not THE core cast member. I can't think of another instance where this occurs.

I've seen more shows lately that change their opening credits with each episode to reflect who will be in an individual episode. I see this particularly with Six Feet Under and Charmed.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    And, oddly enough, Jonathan Harris was listed as "Special Guest Star" for his portrayal of Dr. Zachary Smith during the entire run of Lost in Space.

7. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> I've never understood why Heather Locklear was a "guest star" on Melrose Place for years...

She had that arrangement in her contract, for whatever reason.

8. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    It's merely a way to bring their name out of the list of others. Jonathon Harris had that negotiated into his contract on LIS.

Peter MacNicol on Ally McBeal is a "And" star.

Basically, you can guess that if their name is preceeded by "And" or "As" or "Special Guest Star", it means they are making more money than the other performers.

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Also, didn't Heather Locklear begin as a guest star? She was not in the original cast but appeared towards the end of the first season as a "guest star". I believe it was supposed to be a limited run, but her character caused such a stir they made her a permanent cast member but always kept her billing as "Special Guest Star".