What's new

Actor Credit Terms (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Can anyone point me to a site that explains the intricacies of television or movie credits.

"Starring", "Guest Starring", "With", "and", "as (insert character name)".

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
With regards that request, how do you "guest star" in a movie? I think the thread is at least as appropriate here as it is in movies.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I know that "And XXXX XXXXXX as XXXXX XXXX" when appearing last in the opening credits is considerred second most favorable to above the title. Generally you'll see this with someone with star power who is not the lead character. You will also see it when someone is "big" but not as big as the names above the credits.

Guest starring means the person is a guest on a program, but is not a regular. They may be central to the story, or they may be secondary. I've never understood why Heather Locklear was a "guest star" on Melrose Place for years, since I was under the impression she was a core cast member, if not THE core cast member. I can't think of another instance where this occurs.

I've seen more shows lately that change their opening credits with each episode to reflect who will be in an individual episode. I see this particularly with Six Feet Under and Charmed.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
And, oddly enough, Jonathan Harris was listed as "Special Guest Star" for his portrayal of Dr. Zachary Smith during the entire run of Lost in Space.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> I've never understood why Heather Locklear was a "guest star" on Melrose Place for years...

She had that arrangement in her contract, for whatever reason.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It's merely a way to bring their name out of the list of others. Jonathon Harris had that negotiated into his contract on LIS.

Peter MacNicol on Ally McBeal is a "And" star.

Basically, you can guess that if their name is preceeded by "And" or "As" or "Special Guest Star", it means they are making more money than the other performers.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Also, didn't Heather Locklear begin as a guest star? She was not in the original cast but appeared towards the end of the first season as a "guest star". I believe it was supposed to be a limited run, but her character caused such a stir they made her a permanent cast member but always kept her billing as "Special Guest Star".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks