What's new

3D Active vs. Passive glasses. (1 Viewer)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I made my choice of passive specs when I saw some behind the scenes features about Sky 3D.
None of the technicians/editors/producers were using expensive active shutter specs; all of them were using cheap passive specs.
Anyone yet to make the decision might want to bear this in mind. :)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I don't care about active or passive as long as I'm seeing 3D in full HD resolution.

A 4K passive display is fine, since the 1080p resolution on a 3D blu-ray isn't lost when the vertical resolution is halved.

Also, if you buy active glasses with recharging capability, like the 3active glasses, it's not too expensive.

What's more important to me is the TV's ability to cancel out each eye to reduce crosstalk.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There are pros and cons to each. Passive has the ability to fully block out the opposite image to each eye. Active has 1080p resolution to each eye. So if you want full resolution, you need active; if however you want zero crosstalk then passive.

And revgen is correct. 4K TVs with 3D have the ability to give full resolution to each eye with passive.

As for what the filmmakers in that behind-the-scenes documentary were using: I'm sure they weren't using consumer passive 3D equipment, but more likely pro equipment that is used in digital cinemas.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Passive technology isn't immune to crosstalk either. Not even in the theaters. I saw Sin City - A Dame to Kill For in RealD and there was occasional crosstalk here and there.

I've seen testimonials from those with LG sets complaining of cross-talk too.

Crosstalk has more to do with the display and the projector than the glasses. DLP TV's exhibit almost zero crosstalk regardless of whether they use Passive or Active.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I too, have seen occasional crosstalk with passive presentations in cinemas. My active plasma, properly calibrated, is pretty good on the crosstalk front, but ideally I would like to go dual projector passive when finances permit. More brightness, better cancellation; it's kind of a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks