active subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joyanS, Nov 8, 2002.

1. joyanS

joyanS Auditioning

finally.i got enough dough to buy a sub woofer. i get a axiom 175 active. and i got it today. ran downstairs with al the wire i got and realised that ihave a panasonic receiver that ahs only one 'out subwoofer' and that it does not support an active s......
    what am i going to do ? buy a new receiver that is good enough to have the necessary inputs or is there a way i can still use this active subwoofer for a while before i have to sink into the depths of debt to buy a new and 'better ' receiver.
    any help is appreciated. thank you in advance.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi JoyanS. Welcome to HTF!

First, does your Panasonic receiver have a SUB/SUBWOOFER/LFE plug on the back? It should be a RCA female connector.

You grab any RCA cable and run it from this jack on the receiver to either one of the RCA jacks on the subwoofer.

There IS another way to hook that woofer up, but it means you must do this:

- Run your L/R speaker wire to the sub. There should be binding posts for this.

- Run more speaker wire from the sub (more binding posts should be there) to your L/R speakers.

But the second technique is more work.

3. joyanS

joyanS Auditioning

thank you for your help. iran an rca cable from the receiver's subwoofer out to rca jack line in of the sub woofer.the sub woofer does not appear to be putting out anything. shouldn't i be hearing a hiss or a hum or something?
    does the speker wire connection is more reliable?
    thanks again.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Three things:

- You have to tell your receiver that you have a subwoofer connected. (Check the setup menus). You might also want to define your speakers as SMALL.

- Your receiver has a LFE output/Sub output level. Check this to make sure it's not turned down to it's lowest setting.

- The sub has a power cord, and usually a volume/intensity knob. Try turning this up.

Yes, the speaker-wire setup is somewhat simpler from a setup point of view, but the RCA cable to the LFE port is usually better. Let's try and get this to work first.

5. joyanS

joyanS Auditioning

i really appreciate your help with this problem,bob. somehow, it so happenned that only the first part and then connected the speakers through the 2nd method, viz. connecting the speaker wire from receiver to sub and wire to speakers to the sub and so on.
    it now sounds great. but.. should i undo all this and go ahead and connect through the receiver and program it.
    i did find the setup and subwoofer turnonthanhs again.you guys have been great.
    joyanS

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Joyan,

Bob is right: you should try to get the sub-out working now. That way you won't void the LFE channel on real 5.1 tracks.

Your receiver may currently be set to "no-LFE" (or "sub-off", or whatever that mode is called). Change that to "on". Make sure a sub volume, if there is one on your receiver, is turned up. Also, as Bob suggested, you may want to set your mains (L/R and C) to something like "small", so the bass frequencies of those channels will be sent to your sub also.

If you prefer, for whatever reason, to connect your sub to the mains, they should be set to "large", however! Or else you won't have much bass in those channels, hence no work for your sub.
    But again: I would prefer using the LFE-channel itself!

Good luck!

Cees