What's new

Active Sub vs. Passive Sub (1 Viewer)

Gratton

Auditioning
Hello

I'm new to Home Theatre so I hope this thread is not too dumb. I just purchased a 57" Toshiba TV and now I need to get more speakers, a Receiver...etc. I Have an old Acoustics Research Sub. The box hold 2 down firing drivers (to be replaced since the old ones are rotten). I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace the drivers and make it a passive sub, or add an internal amp and create a powered sub. If it is passive, would the sound I get from it be as good with power amp (separate) and speaker cables as it would if I were to get an active sub. I'm thinking of buying a separate amp, hooking it up to my receiver (not purchased yet) and powering the sub that way. From reading the forums so far, I gather that making a sub sound good is no easy task. I guess I'm just confused about how a surround sound receiver outputs its Sub signal. If I go into a separate amp will I end up having a delay when the sound is supposed to happen? OK, that should do for now. Any help would be appreciated, as would links to info I could read somewhere else.

Thanks.

Ryan T

Second Unit
there will be no difference in sound delay between using an internal amp or external one. I might opt for the external option more than internal though. Most retail subs are already limited on enclosure space and adding an internal amp will only decrease the availible space. What will happen is the receiver outputs a signal that you will connect to the RCA jack input on a internal amp or to the RCA inputs of the external amplifier. I've run my tempest both ways and i can't tell a differance.

BTW Which model is your passive sub and what drivers are you thinking of using to replace the current ones? Ive done a lot of messing around with old speakers and subwoofers. Most the time it isn't worth it unless your going to use a nice dayton or adire audio driver. And also the enclosure has to be large enough... But i must admit it is fun tinkering with that stuff!

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks