Active speakers and sub, does this work well for you?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Arthur S, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've been thinking of using studio monitor type speakers at least for the R, C, and L.

Mackie makes some of the better active monitors. I'm thinkin about their 624 @ $420 each. Aside from the fact that 3 of these would cost about $1,300 I'm not convinced that a 6 inch woofer could put out enough bass in the 50 Hz to 70 Hz to make for a seamless transition to a good subwoofer.

On the other hand such small mains would be unobtrusive and eventually when I get a front projector, the center channel would not only match the L & R, but would also be placed without standing out or having to put the center behind the screen. Probably just a small pedestal.

All replies are appreciated.

Artie

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Arthur,

I know there is at least one other Forum member using the Mackie speakers, and they were discussed in a thread a few months ago. Do a search on “Mackie” on this forum (the Speakers Forum) and maybe you can find the thread. Then you can contact him and see what his observations on your question are.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The guy I bought my sub from had powered Mackie's running off Musical Fidelity gear in a rather large room, and properly positioned. Though I think their intent is to be used as near field monitors, they sounded great in his setup (he said he is actually in the process of turning that room into a studio).