What's new

Active speakers and sub, does this work well for you? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking of using studio monitor type speakers at least for the R, C, and L.

Mackie makes some of the better active monitors. I'm thinkin about their 624 @ $420 each. Aside from the fact that 3 of these would cost about $1,300 I'm not convinced that a 6 inch woofer could put out enough bass in the 50 Hz to 70 Hz to make for a seamless transition to a good subwoofer.

On the other hand such small mains would be unobtrusive and eventually when I get a front projector, the center channel would not only match the L & R, but would also be placed without standing out or having to put the center behind the screen. Probably just a small pedestal.

All replies are appreciated.

Artie

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Arthur,

I know there is at least one other Forum member using the Mackie speakers, and they were discussed in a thread a few months ago. Do a search on “Mackie” on this forum (the Speakers Forum) and maybe you can find the thread. Then you can contact him and see what his observations on your question are.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The guy I bought my sub from had powered Mackie's running off Musical Fidelity gear in a rather large room, and properly positioned. Though I think their intent is to be used as near field monitors, they sounded great in his setup (he said he is actually in the process of turning that room into a studio).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks