Active Biamping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted_Polzin, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. I have a question about the above. I have my active crossover and amps on the way, Actually I am building them but same thing and have a couple of questions.
    1) Via the miracle of Active biamping you get twice the effective power (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#act_vs_eff) does this effect the max power of your speakers? For example I will be using 60w amps, Biamped that will be 120w but because of biamping I will have 240 effective. My speakers are only 150w will this cause me any problems?
    2) Cables. I hope this does not cause any problems. What is better. I have several options for biamp cables. I can buy some biamp wire specific to this with all 4 wires in one insulated tube. It is total 12Gage but each set is only 14 gage. I like this since it will mean only 1 wire to each speaker but will I run into trouble with only 14gage wire? Alternatively I could run 2 12 gage wires to each of my speakers. My high end audio shop (Audio 5.1 for all you Edmontonians) has both the biamp wire as well as 12 Gage wire. He will sell me the biamp wire for $5.00 / ft CAD or the 12 gage will be $2.50 / ft. I believe it is Monster cable.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Ted

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    1) No, as long as you don't crank the volume up to very loud levels (exceeding xmech or thermal limits of the driver). Underpowering the speakers could cause amp clipping (which cn easily damage speakers).
    2) If your run is under 40ft then 14 gauge will be fine (esp. since you're biamping). For longer runs 12 gauge would be justified. I'd suggest you read up on speaker cable a bit more. If you really feel that speaker cable makes a difference (given the same gauge) then IMO there are better bang/buck offerings (vs. Monster cable).

3. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks a lot

1) Thats what I thought. Should give me lots of head room

2) Again what I have been thinking. Revy out here had some good 12 gage wire for $.69 a foot CAD. I do want to go with good end though. As much for looks as any thing else. Does that same though hold true for Audio Coax? Not sure where else to go but he has some very hefty stuff for $3.50 CAD/ ft (sure I can get a deal if I ask).

Thanks a lot

Ted