Activation Key Nightmare... Is there anyway to stop it?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Mar 18, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I don't mind Serial Numbers that take a minute to type in. I don't mind activating the product over the internet. What I DO mind, is limited activation key uses..

About a month ago, I had a Trojan Horse on my system. I used Ad Aware to remove it, but it was still slugish. To top things off, another program of mine malfunctioned soon after. So, after un and re installing it twice, I finally decided to reformat the system today.

So, after the reformat of the drive(Long version), and re-instillation of windows, everything seems back up to speed. I reinstall all my programs....then the one that was having problems, along with WSFTP give me an error that my key activation has run it's course. I need to spend two $39,95 purchases in order to get it working again.

Don't they realize this is what drives people to Freeware? Along with the two above, I also have to call Customer Support at Adobe to get CS2 working again, because my 5.0 didn't quality for the upgrade even though it specifically said so on the site.
    I had to call them the first time toget it working and wait 20 minutes on the phone to do it..

So, with that being said, I'm going to start a page that supports free ware or programs without limited activations. MAby it'll help people save some migrane medicine. But, with that being said, does anyone know of any good, stable freeware(or one time pay) programs that operate like CS2, WSFTP?

Thanks!

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

smartFTP is free and as good or better than wsftp.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i love free, high quality software as much as anyone, but photoshop is one program there really is no replacement for. i'm a heavy gimp user, but if your job is digital photography related, you must use photoshop. i'd say money is the main reason most people go to free software.

CJ

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I was forced to use Gimp and Open Office during one job since everything was Linux-based. It wasn't easy, and definitely not as good, but we never complained about the price. [​IMG]

SmartFTP, however, is finally as good (and smart) as WS_FTP imo. One thing that always bugged me about SFTP is you couldn't drag files to the left menu tree, only the open directory on the right, while WS_FTP always let you do that. That changed with the last couple releases though.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I use Filezilla. It does exactly what I need it to do and tells me exactly what's happening. There's even a Filezilla Server available which I use at our offices for internal transfers of backup files.

Yes, there's plenty of high quality free software out there. To access the office network from the outside, we use OpenVPN (free!). Our old OS/2 server was changed to a Linux server (free!), and we installed Mantis for bug tracking (free!). My Windows XP notebook includes OpenOffice for documents and spreadsheets (free!) and The Gimp for photo editing (free!).

One day, I'll turn my old IBM notebook into a Linux server and do God knows what with it! [​IMG]

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i prefer openoffice.org to ms office in almost every way. excel still has some functions i like that calc is missing, but overall, ms office is incredibly overpriced unless you use a large portion of its features that you can't get with oo or other free office suites.

gimp on the other hand...i don't think any of the $69 starter photo editing programs can come close to it. i'm not knocking photoshop, but gimp is, imo, the best example of great quality free software.

CJ