What's new

Action Sounds Too Loud, Dialog Too Soft (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
John: I really was just trying to make the point that many home systems don't have the resolution that a theater's system has, and when I say "home systems" that includes inexpensive speakers from entry-level manufacturers (complete 5.1 systems for $200, that type of price point) and most HTiBs.

Ken45140

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Mike: thanks for the welcome and for the link. There is still a lot for me to explore to get at all of the amazing info at this site.

Movie watching continues enjoyably. "Late night" setting along with a balanced system is doing just fine.

Ken

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Excellent, Ken!

I have it on the best authority, the HTF Primer/FAQ section is currently being fixed. When it is done, I will post up the link here in your thread so you can check it out. There are a lot of guys here who know an awful lot about HT gear, etc. and, fortunately for guys like you & me, they are willing to share that knowledge.

BTW, if you are interested in the best deals on new DVD releases, check out the Weekly RoundUp threads over in the Coupons & Bargain Forums each week! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ken, your dilemma has reminded me of a potential problem most of us tend to forget. Some soundtracks are just too dynamic for some peoples' tastes. We are always looking for something "wrong" when that complaint comes up, and it is usually calibration. Sometimes it is just the soundtrack itself. It's a good thing receivers typically have the Midnight mode or equivalent.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I already mentioned it, but that mode typically does not work when playing a DTS soundtrack. Just something to keep in mind.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
I have the same problem with my durabrand HTIB but that's only with one movie!:cool:

It can NEVER Be too loud!:laugh:

I guess that's why i hear a little less my left ear than the right when I listen to certain stereo's.:D

Nimrod

Grip
Real Name
Tony
This is a great thread!

My SPL meter came today, swinging by Borders today with my 20% off coupon so (hopefully) I'll pickup the AVIA Guide to Home Theather.

With a little luck they'll have it in stock, so I can do what I gotta do = Wife goes out on Monday nights.

Thanks guys for such a great thread = Learned allot

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I promised I would report back when the Primer/FAQ was all fixed and back in place...so, I am!

HTF Primer/FAQ.

You'll find three separate articles on calibration, etc. One is in the General Section, one in the Software section, and one in the Hardware section. All are VERY informative.

Hope everyone who's caught the calibratin' bug is having some fun! :D

EDIT** Ya know, there are other articles (on speaker placement, etc.) that some of you folks might be interested in, too. Good luck!

reidings

Auditioning
Real Name
Mel Reid
The advice is all very interesting. I think the basic problem is in the software that creates the sound mix in the first place. I have noticed with the movie software that I use the music track default is too loud and the voice track default is too soft. Adjustments are always necessary and often somewhat extreme in order to get a product with a comfortable listening mix. DVD manufacturers have to get their act together. Amazing how the audio quality important to intelligible listening has deteriorated in the presence of the abundant "innovations" offered by new technology.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by reidings

The advice is all very interesting. I think the basic problem is in the software that creates the sound mix in the first place. I have noticed with the movie software that I use the music track default is too loud and the voice track default is too soft. Adjustments are always necessary and often somewhat extreme in order to get a product with a comfortable listening mix. DVD manufacturers have to get their act together. Amazing how the audio quality important to intelligible listening has deteriorated in the presence of the abundant "innovations" offered by new technology.
In my experience (12 years with a home theater), the number of films that have a truly bad mix are very, very few and far between. The DVD/BD manufacturers mostly do a super job tailoring sound for the home theater. If you find yourself constantly adjusting levels, I can almost guarantee your system is not calibrated correctly. I've said it once aand I'll say it again, proper calibration is the single most important step for proper sound. I'd rather listen to a properly calibrated HTiB than a $20,000 HT with bad calibration.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I'd like to add an additional thumbs up for the Avia disc. It helped me in calibrating my system and helped the overall sound qualitiy immensely. I used a radio Shack SPL meter as well. I do not have auto cal features with my AVR.

I would also like to point out that the disc has additional benefit when using the video calibration features as well. Do not think that your display device is calibrated correctly from the purchase location. I also recal because I have a DLP device, the bulb dimms with use, it is 4 years old now and most likely in need of replacement.

I have moved my system a few times and used the calibration disc every time to recalibrate the sound and video. This might be perceived as a bit obsesive but I have been accused of worse. I do enjoy my OCD even though others find it annoying ;-).

I suffer from the same delima however, that being that the dynamic recording specs of most newer DVD's tend to give the result you are facing. Yes, the night setting helps this but I tend to like the dynamic effects. The problem is with the signifigant other. She constantly complains of this "feature". I continue to remind her of this being a theater experience....to no avail. (Of couse on movies and events SHE is nterested in this is not as much of an issue, go figure )

I am going to work on my system again this weekend and I think I will boost my center channel output level to help with the overall "low" dialouge scenes and hopefully it won't blow us away in the boosted/dynamic scenes. I will try and see. I have also considered moving my center channel above the display device as it is on a shelf below it now. I find that it is impossible to place my center and sides/fronts at an equal level. Wouldn't be nice to have entertainment centers designed with the sound system in mind? Yeah, I guess they are out there at a premium price.

Good luck with your adjustments, it is a challenge!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks