What's new

acquired 3 alpha machines, what to do with them? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i recently acquired three DEC alpha computers, and i was wondering if they were of any use. i'm always up for doing new things with computers, installing and learning about new operating systems and such. apparently there are a few flavors of linux available for alpha CPUs, and freebsd as well. any other suggestions? do you guys know of any good websites where i can find more about what i have? i've been to the HP retired alpha systems page and found some basic info. i have one alphastation 255 with a 233 mhz cpu, and i have two alpha 500au workstations. thanks for any info.

CJ

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Run SETI or DNET or whatever, but they won't be good for much else ;)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Yes, and with DEC's FX!32, you can even run many Win32/Intel binaries. (NT 4.0 ran on x86, MIPS, Alpha, and PowerPC; on the RISC platforms, Microsoft supplied a Virtual-PC-like emulator, but that was only for DOS/Intel and Win16/Intel apps. FX!32 was an attempt to complete the package.)

There are the obvious choices for an OS: OpenVMS, and Digital Unix or Tru64 or whatever they call it now. Whether you can get legal copies of those OSes at a price that is suitable for home use is something I don't know.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
someone must think otherwise :) i just sold one of the 500 MHz machines for $199, and the 233 MHz machine for $580.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i doubt it. the machine specs may lead you to believe that, but there is certainly some specialized application that these machines are being used for. alpha resellers and other individuals are bidding against each other for these machines like crazy, and i doubt it is just for kicks. these machines are still of use to some people, for some reason. i'll ask the winners of the auctions after the deals are completed. the guy who bought the 233 MHz machine for $580 has a business as an HP/alpha reseller, and he buys alphaservers on ebay like it is going out of style. him and dozens of others.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks