1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Acoustically friendly walls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Foan, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    Man is the timing great for this new forum!!! I'm in desperate need of advice on how to assemble a HT within my recroom. Right now it's a 16'8" X 17'4" cube with a 7'2" ceiling. Ceiling and walls are already drywalled and the floor has those cheesy stick-on vinyl tiles over poured cement. I can just imagine what the acoustics will be like...
    I plan to carpet the floor in a few months but I'm still concerned about the sound ricochetting around the room. Any suggestions on wall & ceiling treatments would be appreciated, although I don't want to sacrifice too much more headroom. The HT setup will use one half of the room as there is a jack-post almost dead centre in the room.
    Thanks guys,
    Greg

2. Allan Yates

Allan Yates Auditioning

You don't need to worry about the ceiling as long as you take care of the walls and floor. You need a mix of reflective, absorptive, and diffusive surfaces. Start with some carpet on the floor and some furniture and see how it sounds. You can add something to walls later if necessary.
    Allan.
    ------------------
    Intelligent Interiors
    http://www.i2automation.com
    Sales, installation, service, and parts for:
    Lighting, Home Automation, Security, Audio/Video, Home Theatre
    Vantage, Crestron, Elan, Audio Request, Arrakis, Atlantic Technology, Sonance, Niles

3. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator