What's new

Acoustic Visions sub review (1 Viewer)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
About a month ago I ordered a sub from Kyle at Acoustic Visions. There were 2 main motivating factors in my decision to order from them. The first was their ability to get me the performance I wanted at the price I wanted to pay (

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Pretty impressive in-room response. Are you using any eq. and how far away from the subs was the SPL measurement taken at?

JerryW

Supporting Actor
It was measured at 2M (adjusted). No, I don't have an EQ yet... but I probably will get a Bheringer FBD to even out the spike at 35Hz and the dip at 50Hz.
Hehehe, gonna go watch Fight Club. :D
BTW, I'll post some images of it tomorrow.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I think the main reason the FR is so good is because of my room size (pretty small) and the fact that I did quite a bit of testing to get an idea of which corner was best to place it in... like setting the sub at the listening position and crawling around on the floor trying to find where it would work best. I'm going to do a more comprehensive sweep when I get some spare time, a complete 10-80Hz graph in 2Hz steps. It'll give me a better idea regarding which ranges I'm going to need to tweek with an EQ.
Right now though, it does sound phenominal. The bass in certain tracks is almost "suffocating" (Fight Club, Titan AE, TS 2, SW:TPM, etc), it doesn't seem to have any problem reaching reference levels and pressurizing the whole room. To be honest though, I can't really handle volume levels that high for very long... it's not really the bass that's the problem, it's the midrange and highs. I don't want to damage my hearing.
Yeah Jack, they really know their stuff. I took out the driver after it arrived just to look around in it :b, and I was really shocked to see that they had beveled all the braces inside the enclosure just to give it a smidgen more volume... that and wiring each voice coil sperately (which is their standard practice). That way all you have to do is remove the bridge clips from the binding posts if you want to run the sub that way. Really nice. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The whole idea behind the EBS is to have something is rolling off earlier (anechoically) but going much deeper than a "maximally flat" alignment, with the intent of taking advantage of room gain. You give up a little headroom/output up higher, and the box has the largest volume requirement of any vented I'm aware of, but it can work extremely well. As it is for you, obviously.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Your right Jack. If you can live with the size of the box an EBS sounds very nice, especially for someone who listens pipe organ music like Jerry.
Thanks for the nice review Jerry :)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Hey, it was fun. Plus, I just love the chance to play with new gear.
Wait until I get the 2 more EBS Shivas that I want!
BIG-BADDA-BOOM! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks