What's new

Acoustic Visions custom sub review (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I knew that I needed a subwoofer for my new HT system I was putting together. I am a newbie to HT, so I had no idea what I should get, and I didn't have that much money to get it. One day I was browsing this very forum when I ran across a sub review by Martice about a custom built sub he had built for him. I was intrigued and on the advice of people on this forum contacted Kyle at Acoustic-Visions about building me a sub.

Kyle is perhaps the nicest guy on the planet. I sent him about 4-5 emails a day at first asking general questions about subwoofers and what he could do for me with a $500 dollar budget. He answered my emails thoroughly, AND the same day. I can't say enough about the service over there because they truly want their customers to be 100% satisfied with their purchase, and once it arrived I was.

The sub I ended up going with is a 12" Adire Rava driver in an 85 liter enclosure (it could be 80 because I deleted the email with all the exact specs). My sub is actually very similar to the Adire sub in the gallery section of the website, only it is downfiring. The sub is quite huge and I have trouble moving it around by myself. It is as tall as my bed! I had to move a dresser out of my bedroom in order to place it properly without having to shove it in between things.

This is my first subwoofer, but this thing rocks! After hearing mine and going over to a friend's house who has a JBL subwoofer there is no comparison. My sub has so much more range. While the JBL sounds boomy and loud, my sub can handle that deep base that you FEEl rather than hear. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies to play, especially the T-Rex scene. When you first hear the faint footsteps I swear it sounds as though he is somewhere near my house. When playing the test tones for the sub on Avia one of my lightbulbs went dim all of a sudden. I thought I had blown something, but when I checked I found out that the sub had rattled it so much that it came loose!

I dont' know how this stacks up against an SVS or high-end sub but I am completely happy with my decision. Kyle and Rob were very helpful and wanted to make sure that I was happy. This was the best shopping experience I have ever had, and it was online to boot. This is my first HT, and an entry level one at that, but this sub will be the little gem of my system for years to come. I would recommend that if you have a budget of $400-600 for a sub you contact these guys. You won't regret it.

Edit: Actually the driver is an Adire Shiva I believe

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Allen
Congrats on your subwoofer. Kyle and Acoustic Visions did not "build" mine but that is where I got all my pieces to build my own. Kyle was also very helpful to me along the way and still is. I definitely give them :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
I know exactly what you mean about good bass. My DIY replaced a Polk Audio PSW 250 and an older radioshack sub. Neither of them comes remotely close to the new level of woofage. Have fun with your sub! :)
Dan Hine

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great, Allen. Kyle knows how to make a sub. :) I'd bet it "stacks up" just fine against anything in its price class, and probably thoroughly outclasses anything you might find in a store anywhere near its price. Enjoy.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I went over to the same friends last night and watched Men of Honor. There are a few parts with a lot of bass and I was thinking the whole time how much better my one sub would handle it than his two subs (Sony SAWM40 and JBL model). If and when I decide to add a second sub I will definitely email Kyle and see what he can come up with that is better than what I have now. For now, however, I love this sub and can't think of a reason to add or replace it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks