Acoustic tweaking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

DIY Acoustic Panels
    I just found this excellent site on how to make acoustic panels. This guy must really know what he's doing because they look professional.
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, I know the site has a few bugs I just made it tonight. Let me know what you guys think, I havn't been able to use them with my AV3s yet because my HT is still being built. I'll post a review and take measurements soon enough.
    I just realized that there are no GOOD sites with lots of pictures so I decided to make one with all the goodies I want in a DIY site. Feel free to spread the link around if I don't see enough hits I'm gonna stop doing this. hehe
    Soon to be added: Diffusor Panel, Bass Trap, AV3, and Blackout curtain.

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

HI Chris. I'm big on acoustic treatment and I like the links that you've provided. I'm not sure if you saw this link but I really like the builders finished product.
    Acoustic Panels
    Enjoy.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Thanks Martice,
    I did a search on acoustic panels on google and on some forums and I've seen that site before. My panels are similar to John Risch's design. I wanted something that would perform close to Risch's design so the panel ended up being pretty thick, yet not too ugly in the end. [​IMG]
    The extra width of the panel prevents it from looking anorexic and also helps to cover more side wall reflections. I just couldn't bear to look at a panel with rounded edges so I used the white wood beams as a frame.
    I was playing around with them today and I can't believe how much sound these panels absorb. I'll have to take some measurements and see how many DBLs of white noise these absorb.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I hear you on those points Chris. I like the thickness of yours as well. I have square sound absorbers on my walls but I think the panels would work better and like you said cover more area. I'm going back to look over your panels again.

5. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

6. Chris Tsutsui

I think the fiberglass panels discussed in that AVS article are the compressed 1" wall mounted kind. The ones I built can't get crushed because they're fluffy batting and the burlap is easily replacable if it gets torn because there's just thumb tacks holding it up.

As for the performance of the softboard (sound board) + open cell foam, I really don't know. My guess is they wouldn't be as good at absorbing lower frequencies but they would have some effect on sound absorbing.

Remember that fiberglass isn't hazardous to your health but may cause itch or irritation. I just think it works great for sound absorbing because it's non-flammable, odor-less, and doesn't absorb moisture.

Keep in mind that I probably would have used compressed fiberglass as a backing for my panels to substitute for pegboard if I had easily found some.