Acoustic treatment for basement HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Wadsworth, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Eric Wadsworth

Hi, all.

I'm preparing my basement for home theater, and I need some information on acoustics.

It's basically a square room, about 20' to a side. Ceiling-mounted DLP projector shining on a pull-down screen. 5 or 7 smaller monitor-style speakers and a subwoofer provide audio.

The floor will be carpeted with a short carpet, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

But what about the walls and the ceiling? This room will be an echoey box. What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

2. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Hello Eric;

You have a real problem with a square box. If the walls haven't been finished yet you might want to consider changing the dimensions of the room to get away from the box problems.

Other than that, Absorption on the top half of the room and diffusion on the bottom half is a general rule of thumb. Also, try to eliminate the tri-corners of the room. These are basically located in the top left and right corners of the room. I built some shelves that act as small absorption treatments for each corner.

I am sure the experts will correct me if I am wrong and doing a search will also yield up a whole bunch'o information.

Good luck.

Paul.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's several products that range from professional to DIY that can help with your problem. In my basement room I used John Mansfield's Permacoate Linacoustic on the bottom half and covered that with fabic. That's the commercial version of their Theatersheild product that's more expensive but actually has essentially the same acoustic properties.

4. Eric Wadsworth

Thanks for the information, guys.

The room isn't actually square, it's more of a rectangle shape. I need to go down there and measure it, I suppose. We'll be putting in some closets at one end, and there are some windows.

I looked at some acoustic panelling online, and HOLY STICKER SHOCK. Egads. Maybe I'll just staple some blankets to the walls and ceiling instead. Yikes.