Acoustic Research Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_M_Jones, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Robert_M_Jones

Can anyone shed some light on the quality of Acoustic Research speakers? I didn't find much on them with a search. I am looking to replace some very old Mitsubish towers I am using for my mains. Don't have a sub right now but I am probably going to order a Rava from adire. I have seen the AR S50 towers for around $400 a pair. I can't find any reviews execpt for the ones at audioreview.com but I don't think everyone there has the expertise as users in the forums here do. Anyone have some experience with the S50 series or Acoustic Research speakers in general?

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Robert,
    I had the AR9 towers and the ar4c center channel from Acoustic Research and think they are wonderful speakers. I recently went with all Klipsch speakers due to a good deal I got on them. I sold the AR's to a good friend and he loves them. If it wasn't for the deal I got on the Klipsch set, I would have happily kept the AR's. Check into the AR9's, they can be found in the $500 a pair range on the net if you can find them. They are AR's high resolution line and I think they sound a little better than the s50's. The AR9's have a 1" tweeter with 2 5.25" midrange's and a 10" side firing excursion woofer. They are a great overall full range speaker for the price. You can still find them online if you look. Also, they are bi-wireable. You can find reviews for them on audioreview.com. Good luck with whatever speakers you go with.

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I have the old performance series towers 318PS and a newer PSC25 Center and I love them. Good build quality and sound at a great price. From all the comments I've read it seems that AR speakers are very good but the subwoofers line up is rather weak except for the higher priced AR500.

4. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    I have AR-1's for mains and an AR-2c center channel and like them alot. These are heavy speakers and the build quality is excellent. Although some people feel that the tweets are too bright, this is not the case for me. Although I'm unfamiliar with the newer S50's I wouldn't worry about quality.
    One thing you should know is that AR's policy (unless it's recently changed) is that the warrantee is only valid if purchased through an authorized dealer. They aren't real "upfront" about this since it's not mentioned on the web site, only in the owner's manual which you only get after unpacking your purchase. If you're considering a web purchase, you should keep this in mind. I'm sure if there are any authorized e-tailors.
    Jim L

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Rob,
    You won't go wrong with AR! We are talking about the company
    who invented the acoustic suspension speaker many decades
    ago. They know how to build speakers!
    Go with the Hi-Res series if you can afford them as they are
    the ultimate in the AR line. I have the AR9 towers which are
    comrised of 2 5.25" Magnesium-Aluminum Hemispherical Mids
    and a 1" Pure Titanium Dome Tweeter in a M-T-M arangement.
    Each cabinent also houses a 10" High Excursion Sub Woofer
    and they are meant to be Bi-Wired or Bi-Amped (you can run
    them with just one set of wires though)
    The sound to me is very natural, vocals are very smooth and
    pronounced, high range is bright but I have heard Klipsch
    is even more bright. I think that the Titanium Tweeter makes
    the metalic instruments come to life with very large sound.
    I purchased my AR9's at http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com quality all the way...
    ------------------

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Robert, I have a pair of The Edge wall mountable speakers made by AR that I'm using as surrounds. To get this kind of sound and build quality from such an inexpensive speaker is rare.....I highly recommend this brand!
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    ------------------

7. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of AR ASW 210's, these speakers and I go back a ways. They have a great sound for bookshelf speakers.
    They were my first "good" speakers, and now that I've gone to all Klipsch for the HT, they are my 2ch speakers in my office.

8. Robert_M_Jones

Thanks for the input....Now I have to rethink the subwoofer. The AR-9 series has the built in 10" powered subs but they don't seem to go very low (Frequency response: 32Hz-23KHz ±2dB). The S50 doesn't have a sub built in but it goes 24 Hz-20 kHz ± 3dB. Strange thing that it uses 3 6 1/2 drivers and has lower range than the AR9 with powered subs built in.
    AR has 4 lines of speakers but they make it hard to determine which one is the best for what purpose. like Hi-res vs. Stature. Thanks for the good comments on their quality for the price.....

9. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

I own the AR S50s. (purchased before I found this wonderful forum)
    I ordered mine from www.ac4l.com (authorized net retailer). The speakers arrived with a couple light blemishes, even though they were new. Boxes were really beat up too. But, being a college kid, that didn't bother me, being that the speakers were still sealed and they sounded great!!
    I thoroughly enjoy my S50s. (I'm actually hoping my S20 surrounds and AR-4C center arrive today..hehe)
    Speaking of which..does anyone know how poor of a decision it was for me to buy a center channel from AR's Hi-Res line, rather than sticking with Stature line??
    My mains and surrounds are Stature, center channel will be Hi-Res. Hopefully they match well.....anyone?
    Let me add that I use the famous Sony sub.
    Also, I see that you mentioned the bass levels....well, I was expecting more bass from my S50s. But then again, this was my first pair of real speakers, so I have had little experience.
    [Edited last by Benny G on October 08, 2001 at 11:22 AM]

10. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

If I were you I'll still get a subwoofer for one simple reason...placement. It is hard to find a good compromise between bass and overall performance when positioning mains and rears so its far easier (not to mention that it usually delivers better performance) to place the mains and rears for better imaging and seamless soundstage and place a separate subwoofer where ever it works better in your case.
    Hope this helps
    Regards

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Benny G,
    Do not go with Hi-Res anything if you have Stature for other
    components because you will then be selling the Stature
    components to buy all Hi-Res components... TRUST ME...
    The Hi-Res series cost a lot more for a reason and they
    sound it... The Hi-Res Tweeter if bought costs $76.00 and
    if you go to partsexpress.com you'd be hard pressed to find
    many tweeters that carry a price tag with that kind of heft.
    I have a Performance Series Center and Performance Series
    Bookshelf's for surround and they do not match the tonal
    qualities of the AR9's at all.. I wish I would have went
    with Hi-Res everything and that is ultimately what I will
    end up doing. I also got my PS Center from Ac4L and it also
    came BADLY beaten, To the point where I would NEVER order
    from Ac4L AGAIN.. If they can not double box smaller items
    they will not get my business period.
    Robert,
    You must have miss read or the web site has incorrect info
    on the Freq-Resp of the AR9's as there is no way the Stature
    series goes lower range than the AR9's.. My AR9's are wired
    to an Onkyo 787 which gives them a modest 100 watts per ch
    and the subs shake the house... Granted they are never going
    to sound like a dedicated sub and you will still need a true
    dedicated sub for LFE in movies but for the punch you need
    in music they are very efective!
    I say go with Hi-Res everything and you won't be let down.
    The Hi-Res series is very vocal and they are bright.. If you
    are not into bright speakers then the lower series of AR's
    like the Stature or Performance Series would better fit the
    bill as they employ traditional Poly or Silk for the tweeter
    and are generaly not as bright as a Titanium Tweeter.
    To see how my AR9's look in my setup go to:
    http://www.westol.com/~brettd/av/
    I will eventualy upgrade to Hi-Res for the center and all
    of the surrounds as well!
    ------------------

12. Richard Watt

Richard Watt Agent

I was looking at those AR9's too, but I had a question about the next model up. The AR5 I think. Over at AR's website they list the upper models as having powered subs built into them. Would it be worth it to go for a pair of AR5's. At only $300 more, that would cover the price of a seperate subwoofer. Anybody have any ideas or reviews on these?
    Richard

13. Robert_M_Jones

Thanks for the info everyone....I think I will get the AR9 instead. I just ordered a Rava sub and now I think I will spend the extra and get the AR9 instead of the S50. Those were the frequency ranges from the AR website...it did say the S50 went down to 24Hz but from what I have read some users find the bass a little lacking. Well, with a sub no I won't have to worry about the low end....
    I thought about moving up to the AR5 and not getting a separate sub but from what a lot of people are saying is that you can't place them like a dedicated sub for the best location. Your stuck with where your mains are.

14. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I would always recommend a dedicated sub no matter what the
    placement issues are. The AR9's and the AR5's both produce
    great musical bass if they are place right but it is not the
    kind of bass you want for home theater.. You want super low
    frequencies for the LFE channel on a good 5.1 6.1 or 7.1
    setup and I don't think there are many towers in that price
    range that will deliver sub 20 Hertz Freq's and sound great.

15. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Me, I happen to own a set of Acoustic Research Series 3311 Studio Monitors which I use with my two-channel stereo audio components (phonograph records, CD's, theatre radio, etc., audio cassette tapes). They are beautiful speakers which I have owned for a few years now and they play remarkably well. they are so sweet that they even come complete with both hi- and mid-level variable frequency control knobs which do make for interesting level adjustments in the monitors themselves.
    They get the job done so well, that, not only do I need not use my sub with them...but I shall also cordially splurge for some high-caliber, golden-pronged Monster Cable speaker wire for them in the coming months as well.
    In my home theater, music reproduction has never sounded any better to me than using these babies. I truly, truly enjoy them. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D