What's new

Acoustic Research S108PS or Sony SA-WM500 (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, everyone. I'm thinking about getting either the Acoustic Research or Sony. I am unsure which to get. The AR is going for $99 at J and R and I can pick it up myself. But Etronics has the Sony for $133 however if you open you can't return it. :thumbsdown: . That's a major blow for me. I was wondering which would be better. My room is 12 x 15, and i'm thinking about getting the AR since it's lower priced. :). I heard the Sony it sounds really nice but the AR seems like a good deal even though it's smaller and has 120 watts compared with 150 watts with the Sony. Help me out here...Thanks!

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best test is for YOU to listen to both and judge for yourself.

Stelios

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I can, but at etronics you could only buy but I've heard the Sony at Best Buy several times and it sounds quite nice but then again the AR can sound even better. I think i'll go with the AR.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I have the AR and think it performs well, but don't expect it to rattle the whole house unless distortion doesn't bother you.
At reasonable levels, it fills in nicely with clean, tight bass.
Turned up loud, it can be boomy.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
if you decide to get the sony, go to a nearby Sears, and they pricematch the internet, so find the lowest price and go match it and get it. You don't have to pay for shipping either.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do a search on the AR S112PS, it is a dang nice sub, they seem to have dried up, but I picked one up for like $120 online refurbished about a month ago.

I'd go with the 12" over the 10" myself, unless music is the major priority for you. With HT, physical size has the most impact on it with bargain subs.

On Saturday, I will be installing a Sony SA-WM500, I will post back on it if you want to wait.

I can whole heartedly endorse the AR S112PS though, as I installed one before xmas. It was quite impressive for the cash spent.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I went with the AR and it sounds very nice, but I am clueless on how to set it up...because I never had a true subwoofer.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Best is to take the Sub Line out fromt he receiver or pre/pro and connect it to the line in of the sub.

Star with the THX standard 80hz as the xover point, then try different positions, use the settings that sound best to you.

My general rule of thumb is this:

Raising the xover point benefits the amps and speakers more.
Lowering it benefits the sub more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks