Acoustic Research Master Series cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Lyn, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone tried these cables? They seem well made...solid..but very thick.

I am replacing my Ultralink Digital Coax Audio cable. If these cables are good (i.e. shielding, no added noise, construction, etc.)...I may replace my audio interonnects with them.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I replaced my Interconnects(Pre/pro to amp), S-video and Optical cables with the respective ones from AR Master series. For the money well worth it.

Kevin

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You may want to look at the Sapphire line from NXG. They're a little difficult to find, and only available on line from what i've seen, but they have a very solid construction, and much less expensive than the AR Master series.

I currently use normal NXG cables for my entire system (11 cables) and am very pleased with them. Quality wise, they are in the same league as the AR performance series and the Monster 100 or 300 series, but at a fraction of the cost. The 11 cables for my system was $43 + shipping. The NXG Sapphire series is about 2 to 3 times the standard series, but if you're looking for cables of that quality, it's still an order of magnitude less expensive then AR masters or other higher end choices.

Hope this helps.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Master series, and even the cheaper Pro series, are well thought of by the people here. Very good value for the money.

But...why are you replacing the coaxial-digital cable? These really dont make much of a difference. The analog interconnects perhaps, but I doubt the digital cable would give you any noticible improvement.

5. Christopher Lyn

I need to replace it because my cat ate it and made a huge laceration where there should be insulation. Also, if people had good experiences with the AR Master Series, I would eventually try and replace my audio interconnects.

They sell the AR Master Series here in Toronto at Future Shop which is very close to where I live.

6. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

I've used AR Masters Series S Video, Optical and Analogue cables with good results.

Bob

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

I would take the AR stuff over similarly priced monster. Personally I use the pro-series digital coax interconnect for movies. However for analog stuff I use the Audio Quest corals paired with Transparent MusicWave Plus cables for the speakers.

N.B. Unless you have pretty highend stuff anything better than AR cabeling will see you no benifit in my opinion. Save your money and buy a better CD player or whatever.

9. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i think the stuff they sell at bb is actually the performance series. i havent ever seen the pro series there personally.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Where can i buy AR Master series cables ? Do the audio interconnects come XLR terminated ? I need some balanced cables for my new pre pro coming next week. These sound interesting.

11. Christopher Lyn

Thanks for the reply guys...I did not know that cables were not as critical for the coax digital audio outputs. Hmmm...learn something everyday.

Eventually I may change my analog interconnects.

Chip E:

Maybe some of my American counterparts can answer your query. For those in Canada, Future Shop sells the AR Master series cables.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what steps are you taking to ensure the the AR Masters don't become another masterful morsel for kittie?

13. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Just run more current through them ; )

14. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

15. Paul_Medenwaldt

I've been looking at on-line sites for purchasing NXG cables, and I can't believe how inexpensive these cables are going for.

If anyone is interested in these cables and want to find out what websites i've found these at you can email me.

I have not yet purchased any of these cables myself, i want to find out about a few things first before I make the final purchase.

I would just like to find out more info on quality and durability. Also it was mentioned that NXG has a Sapphire line. I have not been able to find anything on a Sapphire line or even a home page for NXG.

Any info on the above would be great.

Paul

16. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

17. Paul_Medenwaldt

I probably made a mistake by intruding on Christopher's question here with my inquiries on NXG.
    I'm sorry for leading the discussion another way from what the main focus was.
    I'm sure this is the first time a HTF discussion got off course. [​IMG]
    Paul

18. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

19. Christopher Lyn

Chu:

20. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I got my NXG cables at www.shoppingmatrix.tv
    I know i've seen the NXG Sapphire cables somewhere online, but for the life of me, i can't find them ANYWHERE now.
    Sorry, wish i could be of more help [​IMG]