What's new

Acoustic Research Master Series cables (1 Viewer)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried these cables? They seem well made...solid..but very thick.

I am replacing my Ultralink Digital Coax Audio cable. If these cables are good (i.e. shielding, no added noise, construction, etc.)...I may replace my audio interonnects with them.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I replaced my Interconnects(Pre/pro to amp), S-video and Optical cables with the respective ones from AR Master series. For the money well worth it.

Kevin

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You may want to look at the Sapphire line from NXG. They're a little difficult to find, and only available on line from what i've seen, but they have a very solid construction, and much less expensive than the AR Master series.

I currently use normal NXG cables for my entire system (11 cables) and am very pleased with them. Quality wise, they are in the same league as the AR performance series and the Monster 100 or 300 series, but at a fraction of the cost. The 11 cables for my system was $43 + shipping. The NXG Sapphire series is about 2 to 3 times the standard series, but if you're looking for cables of that quality, it's still an order of magnitude less expensive then AR masters or other higher end choices.

Hope this helps.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Master series, and even the cheaper Pro series, are well thought of by the people here. Very good value for the money.

But...why are you replacing the coaxial-digital cable? These really dont make much of a difference. The analog interconnects perhaps, but I doubt the digital cable would give you any noticible improvement.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
I need to replace it because my cat ate it and made a huge laceration where there should be insulation. Also, if people had good experiences with the AR Master Series, I would eventually try and replace my audio interconnects.

They sell the AR Master Series here in Toronto at Future Shop which is very close to where I live.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I need to replace it because my cat ate it
LOL :)
So you really want a cable with a Tabasco-flavored outer-jacket? How about wire-mesh?
Ok, (I could not resist). Try this: get some wide masking tape about 4" wide and wrap it around your cable sticky-side out. Or lay strips sticky-side up around the rear of your equipment. Kitty wont like the sticky stuff and will avoid it in the future.
(Usually we have problems with cats using speaker cloth as scratching posts. You are the first I have heard with a wire problem.)
Personally, I'd suggest going down to Best Buy and getting the AR Pro Series video cable for the coaxial-digital wire. It's just not worth the extra money for the Master series for a digital connection. Analog or video - yes, but not digital.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I would take the AR stuff over similarly priced monster. Personally I use the pro-series digital coax interconnect for movies. However for analog stuff I use the Audio Quest corals paired with Transparent MusicWave Plus cables for the speakers.

N.B. Unless you have pretty highend stuff anything better than AR cabeling will see you no benifit in my opinion. Save your money and buy a better CD player or whatever.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i think the stuff they sell at bb is actually the performance series. i havent ever seen the pro series there personally.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Where can i buy AR Master series cables ? Do the audio interconnects come XLR terminated ? I need some balanced cables for my new pre pro coming next week. These sound interesting.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply guys...I did not know that cables were not as critical for the coax digital audio outputs. Hmmm...learn something everyday.

Eventually I may change my analog interconnects.

Chip E:

Maybe some of my American counterparts can answer your query. For those in Canada, Future Shop sells the AR Master series cables.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
what steps are you taking to ensure the the AR Masters don't become another masterful morsel for kittie?

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've been looking at on-line sites for purchasing NXG cables, and I can't believe how inexpensive these cables are going for.

If anyone is interested in these cables and want to find out what websites i've found these at you can email me.

I have not yet purchased any of these cables myself, i want to find out about a few things first before I make the final purchase.

I would just like to find out more info on quality and durability. Also it was mentioned that NXG has a Sapphire line. I have not been able to find anything on a Sapphire line or even a home page for NXG.

Any info on the above would be great.

Paul

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I probably made a mistake by intruding on Christopher's question here with my inquiries on NXG.
I'm sorry for leading the discussion another way from what the main focus was.
I'm sure this is the first time a HTF discussion got off course. :D
Paul

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'd suggest going down to Best Buy and getting the AR Pro Series video cable for the coaxial-digital wire. It's just not worth the extra money for the Master series for a digital connection. Analog or video - yes, but not digital.
I need another set of component cables, and maybe some analo cables. Does the group here think that there's really a substantial difference between the Pro and Master Series? I think I'll stick with the Pro component cables for my XBOX, but for DVD and OTA HD, I definitely want quality cables, but it has to be worth the price difference over the Pro's.

Aaron

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I got my NXG cables at Link Removed
I know i've seen the NXG Sapphire cables somewhere online, but for the life of me, i can't find them ANYWHERE now.
Sorry, wish i could be of more help :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks