Acoustic Research Master series cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anish, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

I am considering a set of Acoustic Research Master series cables for my component cables, subwoofer cable and speaker cables.

Does anyone here have any opinions on the AR Master series? Comparative analysis?

I spent $400 CDN for the 3 sets of cables mentioned above. The speaker cables are 15ft x 2. The sub cable is 25ft and the component cable is 6ft. Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Prices seem comparable to those in the states. They look nice and I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't function as well as any others.

3. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I have only used the component and s-video Master Series cables and have compared them to the BetterCables Silver Serpent cables (I have a mixture of both in my system), and would say the video quality is very very close between these cables. My biggest complaint with the AR cables is how stiff they are to work with, which isn't such a problem with the component cables because of the locking connectors to hold them in place, but with the s-video cables, the stiffness makes them a little more likely to pull out in tight situations. But by the same token, the AR s-video cables are extremely well-built which makes me suspect they will hold up better than most other s-video cables (have had several fairly expensive s-video cables need to be re-soldered over the years).

I've said before that all things considered and if money is not tight, I'd probably prefer the BetterCables because of their flexibility, but you really can't go wrong either way, and the AR cables can be purchased with some nice discounts that make them quite a bit cheaper than the BC cables. I've never had any AR cables fail, but I have had BetterCables fail (but not the Silver Serpents), as well as Monster cables, and some very expensive Acoustic Zen cables (the Zens are currently the only other brand of cables in my system).

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

One note: a good video cable maintains a consistant impedence. This is controlled by the center-conductor being exactly the same distance away from the outer shield along it's length. It's buried in a foam insulator.

But a tight-bend in the wire throws off the dimensions and compresses the insulation on one side, and stretches the other. This creates little "stumbling blocks" where the impedence is different in this area.

A stiff cable that resists bending is actually a superior cable. So dont count this a a defect.

PS: Jay - You said you have had a BetterCable cable fail - does this mean the connector came loose? Did you contact BC and what was their response? (Brad, the owner of BC is usually quick to fix any problems.