Acoustic Research Master Series Cable!!

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by terence, May 11, 2004.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi all,

I’m in the process of replacing all of my Monster Cables with the AR Master Series. I can not believe the performance I’m getting between the video & audio cables of these two brands. WOW! My wife can careless about this stuff, but when she said “those new cables you bought made the picture look incredible” “I was like who are you? & what did you with my wife?!” If she can tell and can careless, I knew these cables were the truth. I just replaced my audio cables running to my amps last night and let me tell you BIG difference! It sounds like I have a new system; all this from switching cables, how crazy is that. Music that I thought was recorded bad now sounds good, and music that was great sounds outstanding. My DVD’s & music have a more open transparent sound, really smooth and airy. Now I’m mad I paid all that $$$ on Monster Cable and could have gotten more performance with these in the 1st place. Now I’m stuck with a box full of Monster Cable. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys and anyone sitting on the fence about these cables.

[​IMG]

I’m in love with CD’s again and more so with my DVD’s. All because I switched to some better cables, if you told me I would hear and see a difference in my system just from adding new cable. I would have not been a believer; hell I thought I had GOOD cables already. What made me upgrade was the prices on the AR’s were too good to pass up, and I always wanted them. They were out of my price range @ a local shop, but over the last month or so the AR’s started popping up online. I had to jump on them and glad I did and I think you guys will be two. Lastly I love the locking RCA’s for a snug fit, one of my favorite features about these cables.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So what model (Video 1/2/3/THX) and type (Composite, SVideo, Component) of Monster video cables were you using and what type of video (SVideo, Component, or HD) were you passing? Also, how big is your display?

(I just want to get the details because the "cables dont matter" vs "dramatic improvement" opinions both are valid. I usually find the sensitivity of the electronics dictate what camp people are in.)

3. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Well i replaced so far:

-Component Video (2)

-S-Video (2)

-Audio Cables (7)

I'm not running HD, my display is 61" RPTV.

I thought the same thing to a degree, i really was not expecting such an improvement over the old brand i was using. I was taken by surprise of the difference in quality. Cables are the last thing i get excited about, but once again totally surprise @ the performance between the two.

A freind of mine called me this morning after he replaced his cables with the AR's and he is running VOOM HDTV, Sony NC555ES DVD player on a Toshiba 57" RPTV (widescreen). Also he is running 4ES as Pre/Pro, TA-N9000ES 5ch and 3 Outlaw mono block amps, and has notice a big improvement overall in his system. He is more excited about the improvement more than me. I too was a skectic about cables, maybe i just bought the wrong ones for my system. I can't explain why it's a difference it just is.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Terence I did the opposite of you and switched out my AR Master Series Component and amp/prepro RCA cables for Straightwire cables. Hate to say I noticed an improvement over the AR cables in both Audio and Video.

Kevin

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

When will it end?!!

Ok Kevin that souds great, but i'm going to stick with these for a while. [​IMG]

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

It never does. I loved my AR cables when I first got them. Huge improvement over the Monster I had in the setup before. I only went with the Straightwire cause my dealer was getting out of that line so I was able to get 35% off sticker price.

Kevin

7. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

I have a question:
    Could the improvements be caused simply by the unplugging and replugging of the contacts creating a wiping action contact. This would explain why one person gets an improvement changing from brand "M" to brand "A", while yet another person gets an improvement doing it in reverse?
    Or, is the spring force retention of the RCA jack degrading with time, and a new stiffer one (regardless of brand)results in improvement?
    I'm not trying to dispute anyones improvements. I'm just attempting to acknowledge other variables.
    Of course the Monsters of the industry will tell you it's all in the black magic and proprietary gas structure of their (and only their) product.

There, this ought to spin some discussion.

Al. Wise

8. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

What's up Terence,
    I know you are loving those AR speakers. Well I still have my Stature series running and they still sound good.
    I can feel you about those AR Master Series cables as I purchased all of them from the component to those thick 10 gauge speaker cables a couple of years ago when these first came out. I upgraded from the lower end of the AR cable line back then.I like the fact that Master series cables lock and make a solid connection and they look good too.
    They do make a difference with Audio & Video no doubt.
    I have never owned any Monster stuff but I will say that these Master series interconnects are top of the line.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Curtis,

How is the speaker cable? What were you replacing when got the AR cable? Did you notice a difference?

Kevin

10. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi Curtis,

It's been a while, glad you chimed in. I going to upgrade to the 10AWG in few weeks. I'm running Home Depot 10AWG on the L/C/R @ this time. I read an article that said some people have seen the wire i'm using turn GREEN after 6 months of use. I'm not going to take a chance on that, and i just put your .02 in my piggy bank. [​IMG]

11. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

Kevin,
    The M.S.10-Gauge speaker wire is great and I wouldnt own anything else if I can help it.
    I'm sure Terence will post once he gets his from collecting my 02-cents.
    I had AR's 12 gauge speaker wire (can't remember the model#) prior to installing the 10 gauge Master series.

I didn't purchase the M.S. speaker wire until we moved from an apartment into a house and the room acoutics changed as I went from a 14' x 17' HT room to a 19' x 20' HT room so I really couldnt tell you if there was any difference or not. I also had my speakers bi-wired in the apartment and now they are not.
    I even purchased one of AR's sound enhancers and I run my CD player thru it, sounds good too.
    So I guess one could say that I'm a straight up AR man!!!

12. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Well just got my shipping comfirmation, the AR MS315 MASTER SPEAKER WIRE (15FT) will be here on Mon or Tues. I will post impressions reguardless.

[​IMG]

Here Here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

Terence,
    Man you collected my 02 cents very quickly!!!! Just kidding.
    I know you will be impressed with the M.S.speaker wire.
    AR has great stuff from the Pro-line to the Master Series.
    Terence you have an awesome HT set up and your room is simular to mine.
    The only thing that sucks about my HT room is the heat build up as the room is above the garage and in the summer it gets pretty warm in there so I have to turn the A/C down in the lower sixties to keep it comfortable.
    Terence is your HT room above the garage ?
    Anyway let me know what you think about those thick 10-gauge M.S. speaker wires when you get them connected.

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I will, also i'm going to close the deal on another pair of AR5's black. I'm going to run the new one's as mains & the old one as SB's.

15. terence

terence Supporting Actor

16. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

Yep,
    Terence, I can see that I'm not the only AR man out there.
    I think those Big AR5's in the front and back will enhance your system that much more along with that M.S.10-gauge wire going into your mains.
    Thanks for the tip on the fan. I have a c-fan in the room but it only seems to stir the warm air thats already in there.

I have been thinking about a portable A/C unit. I can see the draw back may be the noise when it's running.

Well anyway talk to you next week .

17. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Well i got the new speaker wires and like all the MS cable line. They are built very well and atractive, first thing i notice after hooking them up is. They made the my speakers sound a little bright with a tad more detail than the old wires. Since the wires have silver in them i beleive that is what made them sound little bright, but i welcome the little details i hear.