What's new

Acoustic Research Hi-Res series (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm interested in the Acoustic Research Hi-Res series of speaker; the AR1 -9 speakers specfically. My fiancee and I are redoing the living room where the Home Theater stuff us, and it'd be a big win for both of us if I could get rid of the subwoofer; she'd get some floorspace back, and I'd get new speakers :)

How do the AR series of speakers sound using their built-in subwoofer? I'm not a huge fan of tons of bass. I don't need the couch to shake, but I don't want Sauron to sound like a deflating baloon when he's destroyed either (beginning of Fellowship of the Ring). I'd probably get the AR15 speakers for surrounds, and the AR4C for use as my center. All of this would be connected to a Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver.

Also, where can I buy these things? The AR website isn't very usefull for finding dealers. My fiancee would love it if I could get them in Cherry.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Don,

Unfortunatly you are too late to get any of the Hi Res
speakers.. You may luck out and stumble upon someone
selling on ebay. The Hi Res was discontinued and Recoton
the parant owner of AR went bankrupt and AR was just sold
this past week to AudioVox (Shudders) we have no idea what
is going to happen now..

I own the AR9's and the AR4C and the AR 216PS (go with the
AR15's for surrounds if you can find them though..) and
they are absolutely fantastic.. The Bass from the 9's is
great but the AR1's are absolutely phenominal. There is a
fella here by the name of Reese (can't spell his last name
to save my life) who owns the AR1's and he will chime in
here.. He is VERY pleased to say the least...

Of course they can't compete with an SVS Sub, Nothing can...

But they will make beautiful music and terrific amounts of
bass "if" you can find them.

terence

Supporting Actor
Hi there DonRoeber,

Here in Atlanta there is a AR dealer here who has a pair of cherry AR 9's but the rears & center are not also there are floor models, he might have some in stock i have to check. E-mail me and we might can get you some Hi-Res speakers man. Brett knows i'm a AR fan till i die or they die before me. I just AudioVox hope really step up to the plate and bring AR back to where it needs to be. Also AR had a new power tower series that was do out this year, i have a brochure of them but it's probably been scrapped. Oh well, there look good & very unique. The models were AR XP & AR VP.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Don,
Hopefully you can lucky and find some somewhere(Ebay, Audiogon).
I own the AR11's, AR4, AR17's. Great sound and they sound even better now....Good Luck.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Well that's dissapointing, I was hoping to pick these speakers up new. Anyone know of any other speakers that have a subwoofer integrated into them? Thanks!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Infinity makes some full range speakers that are built in
modular fashion (Intermezzo I believe?) Also NHT makes a
modular set of full range speakers. Either of these will
run you more than 2 grand just for the main left and right
channels.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Hello Don,

Everything Brett (or Poppa AR as I sometimes call him) said is correct, (except the part about the AR1's not being able to compete with an SVS sub:D) I beat the odds with getting the AR1's, I bought them from a guy in the Acoustic Research Message Board a few months ago. I was at the right place at the right time - dumbluck.

If you don't like a lot of bass, which the AR1's have(that is smooth, clean, and accurate I might add), you can always lower the bass level output for each sub via the "30Hz Low Frequency Level Trim" dial located behind each tower;- this varies the low frequency output of the subwoofer to compensate for room placement and listening taste. It acts as a 30Hz equalizer with +/-8db of boost or cut. The sequence of degrees around the dia are as follows, from greatest to least: MAX * +6 * +3 * +1.5 * REF * -1.5 * -3 * -6 * MIN.

My 5.1n system is in a room 18x18 and I have the subs set at -6 below reference, this level gives me bass response at
a comfortable volume and depth without needing to have a heart transplant in the near future. There's no such thing
as too much as long as you have the ability to control quantity.

I'm currently looking for someone to sell me an AR2C center
channel, I have been unable able to locate it anywhere, I currently use the (-GULP-) Bose VCS-10 center,
:b and well.........you know.

No matter what trouble you may endure in getting the AR1's I can assure you it will be worth it beyond comprehension.
However, if you are unsuccessful in securing a pair, then I
would most definitely take Chad's advice and check out the
Definitive Technology power towers; they are incredible speakers and are perfect substitutes in build quality and
performance, but unfortunately not in price.

Good luck.:) *EDIT* - Also check out Brett and Brians suggestions.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
The S412P also features a stunning 92 dB sensitivity for uncommonly loud, dynamic performance with almost any amplifier.

The sound on this speaker is clear, detailed, and punchy. If you like to play your music and movies loud, this is the speaker for you.

Pros:
• Clear, powerful sound
• Natural frequency balance
• Plays very loud without distortion
• Great bass response
NOTE: Click the link above to read the entire review.

At approx. 100 lb. per speaker, these can be hernia inducing floorstander's!

JBL MSRP US: $849.99 each but @ authorized JBL Internet dealers, you can get them NEW, for example @ Consumer Direct $465.95 each + Motor Freight Delivery S/H.

The recommended and only timbre-match Center Speaker is the JBL S-Center : 3-Way, Dual 5-1/4-Inch Center Channel Speaker. (MSRP US: $299.99 each)
@ $167.95 + S/H

For surround duties, I'd recommend the JBL S36 : 3-Way, 6-Inch Vertical/Horizontal, Mirror-Image, Wall-Mountable, Weather-Resistant Bookshelf. ( MSRP US: $549.99 pair )
@ $314.95 + S/H

All JBL S-Series speakers are voice-(timbre)-matched to the JBL S-Center and the entire S-Series line incorporates technologies and design innovations directly derived from JBL's TEC Award Winning Professional LSR Recording Studio Monitors.

FYI: The JBL S-Series speakers plays back with the traditional JBL dynamics clearly and extremely well with my Yamaha RX-V1300 (& previous RX-V995) AV Receivers. If you want, read my subjective Yamaha RX-V1300 review, using six JBL S26's, JBL S-Center and SVS 25-31PCi.

Phil

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Phil,

Why don't you just go get a job at JBL.... As Dr. Evil
would say, "I mean, Really" :)

Your posts read like a dang sales brocheur (that's cool
though.. I just wish I had that much time and patience to
spend editing what I post with bold tags and colors and
such)

:D

Don,

Also check out those JBL's phil posted.. I had no clue JBL
even made a "powered tower".. If dooable I would demo them
against the NHT's and the Infinity's

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Don,

These are the speakers I was referring to. I am unsure of
your budget for mains but either of these offerings would
certainly fit the bill.

-----------------------------------------------------------
NHT Evolution T5
http://www.nhthifi.com/home_productI...p?ProductID=44

For those who prefer the placement simplicity and sound of a full frequency point-source speaker, the NHT offers the T5 Tower system.

The T5 combines the Evolution M5 monitor with its own sonically and stylistically(sp) matched powered subwoofer, the Evolution model B5 bass module. Designed for small to medium sized rooms, this tower delivers high aesthetic value, incredible output and full range response, all in one package.

The T5 also offers precise sonic imaging through a re-engineering of NHT's signature technology, Focused Image Geometry. In earlier models, NHT employed this technology structurally, using an angled front baffle to increase the ratio of direct to reflected sound by focusing the musical information toward

the listener and improving midrange response. The T5 accomplishes a similar effect by pointing the crossover null at the sidewalls which reduces reflections and provides a wide, three-dimensional sound stage and startling detail.

Built in mirror-image pairs, B5 modules can be configured to direct bass either outward -- best for home theater uses when televisions or entertainment cabinets are between the towers -- or inward, which can help reinforce bass response.

Each B5 bass module contains the same high-quality 12" acoustic suspension woofer as other Evolution subwoofers, and like them, features a massive motor structure and an aluminum cone attached to a large aluminum former, which together act as a heat sink to disperse excess energy, which can in turn raise impedance. Keeping the woofer cool even in high demand situations minimizes system distortion.

The T5 features a specially designed polycarbonate buttress to provide the B5 with a solid mounting platform for the M5 satellite, and includes all the necessary mounting hardware. It also offers a built-in wire management feature that allows connection to the amplifier and crossover from a simple near-the-floor connector located at the back of the B5 woofer module. Integrating the M5 into a tower configuration requires a minimal use of space, places the monitor at optimal listening height, and eliminates the need for speaker stands or shelves.

Every T5 Tower system includes an Evolution A1 Amplifier and an X1 Active Crossover to power and control the B5 subwoofers, and a set of solid aluminum stabilizer bars for the bottom of the B5 modules.

Beautiful in look, sound and level of innovation, the NHT Evolution T5 may just be one of the most advanced tower systems ever offered.

T5 Specifications
Description:
Tower loudspeaker system employing two M5 monitors, B5 bass module mirror image pair, A1 amplifier, X1 bass manager/active crossover, mounting brackets, hardware and wire management system included.
System Response:
+/-3dB: 26Hz ? 20kHz.
Subwoofer Power:
250W RMS.
Peak Acoustic Output:
@1M: >107dB.

Input Connectors:
5-way binding posts.
Tower Dimensions/Weight:
42.75"H x 7.75"W x 17.25"D, 62lbs.
Enclosure/Finish:
3/4"MDF, Anthracite matte lacquer.

M5 Specifications -More M5 Specs & Information >>
Description:
3-way, acoustic suspension design.
Drivers:
(2) 5.25" woofers, 3" mid-range, 1" metal dome tweeter, all drivers magnetically shielded.
Frequency Response:
(+/-3dB): 66Hz - 20kHz.

A1 Specifications -More A1 Specs & Information >>
Description:
Full range (20Hz - 20 kHz), class G, monaural amplifier for general audio use.
Power Rating (RMS):
200W into 8ohms, 250W into 6ohms, 300W into 4ohms.
THD:
>
Description:
Active crossover for use with Evolution U1, U2 subwoofers and T5, T6 tower systems.
Switchable Hi Pass:
50Hz, 80Hz, 110Hz.
Variable Lo Pass:
50Hz - 140Hz.

Infinity INTERMEZZO 4.1T
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...es=INT&cat=BFS

4-WAY 12" TOWER, BLK TRIM,1000W W/RABOS (single)

The Intermezzo 4.1t is a departure from all that has come before. It's a portal to a whole new world where your favorite albums hold new surprises and, instead of just watching movies, you inhabit them. 1-inch, CMMD™ dome, high-frequency transducer, 3-1/2-inch CMMD™ midrange transducer, 6-1/2-inch CMMD™ mid-bass transducer and 12-inch, cast-frame, low-frequency transducer with 3-inch, flat-wire voice coil and Symmetrical Flux Geometry™ motor coupled to an 850-watt internal power amplifier with R.A.B.O.S.™ bass/room optimization.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response: 30Hz - 20kHz (± 1.5dB)
23Hz - 22kHz (± 3dB)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 25 - 500 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 87dB
Impedance: 6 ohms
Crossover Frequency: 80Hz, 500Hz, 2800Hz; 24dB/octave
Dimensions
(H x W x D): 51-1/2" x 12-1/2" x 27"
(130.8cm x 31.8cm x 68.6cm)
Weight: 93 lb , 42.3kg

That was for you Phil :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My budget for the whole shebang (mains, center and surrounds) is about $1500. Thanks for all of these links! There are certainly more options out there than I had originally thought.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

I'd like to first thank Terence Miller, for the info he sent me. The dealer in Atlanta is named MELTONS HOME THEATER and they have some AR Hi-Res product in stock!!!
The reason why I'm so excited is because...................
THEY HAD THE AR2C CENTER CHANNEL AND I JUST BOUGHT IT!!!!!!
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR THIS THING !!! HALLELUJAH!!!!! I'm so happy I can barely contain myself!!!
Brett more than anyone knows how bad I've wanted this thing.

Anyhow, for anyone besides Don who might be looking for some AR product here is their telephone number:
(770)-849-0011
and here is what they have in stock for AR Hi-Res product:

ONE: AR2C (they had two, but guess who bought one:D )
ONE PAIR: AR9's
ONE PAIR: AR17
TWO: AR4C
They have other AR non Hi-Res product in stock, but I don't know what.
I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT AN AR2C!:D :D :D :D :D :D:D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D , hopefully UPS will get it to me by Friday.

P.S.- Guess what everyone?.......I GOT AN AR2C!!!!! Ok now
I'm just being pathetic...:b, but who cares cause..I GOT AN
AR2C!!! THANK YOU TERENCE MILLER, THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU
HOME THEATER FORUM,THANK YOU BRETT DIMICHELE THANK YOU WORLD!!!! HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYHAPPYHAPPYJOY HAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYHA PPYHAPPYJOYJOY:D
:b :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

terence

Supporting Actor
Damn Reese! Why don't you tell us how you really feel! I'm very happy for you and i envy you as well, i will just have to live thru you. I always wanted the Hi-Res Series but could not afford them so i settle on the line below (Stature) i love them as well.:) Let me know how it sounds once you get it all hook up. Oh it was my pleasure!:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Woo Hoo Reese! :)

They have a pair of AR9's in stock huh... Hmm I should buy
them and sit on them and sell them on ebay in a year or so
and make a fortune :)

Again congrats! I will patiently be awaiting your review!

Steve Sm.

Auditioning
BrandNamez just got some AR9s in stock:

http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml...&AffNo=8799243

I just bought a pair there; $280 is a pretty good price as well. I got an AR2C last fall, planning to build a hi-res system at a leisurely pace, now I have to grab everything while I still can! Hopefully there will still be AR15s to be had by the time I save up the money for that.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I was just thinking to myself WOAH $280 dollars is dirt
cheap! That's $280.00 each :) Still not bad considering
retail was $999.00 not the 600 something they list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks