Acoustic Research HC6 with banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Javier_A, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Javier_A

Javier_A Auditioning

Hi,

I've just ordered the Acoustic Research HC6 speaker system. In the meantime, I'd like to buy some banana plugs for the speaker wire. However, I read in a couple of reviews that the speakers don't take banana plugs, yet a different review said they did. Can HC6 owners please let me know what connectors fit in the speakers? I'd prefer banana plugs, but if they don't work, will spades or pins fit?

Thanks!

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If you missed it or did not read it:
    Terence~ *linked review*

They do have metal binding post,
    but ~{DO NOT}~ allow use of banana plugs according to the review.

Don't let that sway you from the AR-HC6 system, very nice set up for the money. Look far more expensive than their current going price with their black piano lacquer, also have seen excellent reviews.

Regards
    Geoff

4. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Pins or spades are the best option for these speakers as Geoff L pointed out they do not accept banana plugs. I ended up just inserting bare 12 guage wire into the posts and tightening the binding post cap.

5. Javier_A

Javier_A Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I had also read the same review that terence pointed out, but then there is another review here: http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip...cresearchhc6/. Take a look at the third paragraph:

"The speaker connections will allow bare wire, one-quarter-inch spade lugs, or banana jack connections..."

A little condradicting to say the least. Have you guys actually tried to connect banana plugs? I would prefer them for the convenience, if possible.

For spades, do you think these would fit for example: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2475&DID=7

Thanks!

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Those are very nice spades and quite heavy duty. Well worth the price and I have used them myself before.

Their notched for 3 different post sizes. But some 5-way binding post shafts are to thick for them to slide on to! If you need the 3 different widths between the fork let me know.

Will they work:
    Can't say as to if they will "fit the AR's post or not"!.

You might have to wait till they arrive, or hopefully someone will post that actually owns them and can tell you "what will definitely fit"..

Regards
    Geoff

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I simply connected 14-gauge wire directly to the binding posts on my HC6 setup in the bedroom system.

8. Kevin McCurdy

The spades from PartsExpress #091-315 will not fit. I tried them, the posts on the HC6's were too thick. The set of HC6's I received did not accept banana plugs.

9. MatthewCopp

MatthewCopp Auditioning

The Mains, Center and Satellites have gold plated binding posts that do not accept banana plugs. The subwoofer for some odd reason, does have plastic binding posts that accept banana plugs. That's why there is some confusion.

This is a nice system and you should enjoy it. Hopefully Audiovox won't screw up the whole company.

10. Javier_A

Javier_A Auditioning

Kevin, thanks for confirming that those spades from PartsExpress will not fit, it's too bad. Do you know of any spades that will fit those posts? It sounds like the gap would have to be a bit wider. What about the pins here instead: http://accessories4less.com/aless4/C...2D405&cc=&tpc= for example? I really would like to use some sort of connector because at least the front speakers will be moved together with the receiver every once in a while, and I'm afraid that the bare wire might wear down more quickly.

I'm really looking forward to getting the speakers!

11. Kevin McCurdy

Javier_A,

I didn't try anything else, so I'm not sure which connectors would fit. I ended up inserting bare wire into the binding posts.

12. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Javier- An excellent connection can be made with bare wire. Why not wait until you get your speakers then you'll know exactly what you need. You can run down to your local Radio Shack and purchase just about any connector that's available. I'd suggest pins if possible if bananas can't be used. This is for safty sake as spades really aren't much safer than bare wire. I've already had one bad experience with spades when a speaker was knocked over and the wires were jerked into a short which could have blown my amp. If spades must be used, design a barrier between the posts. I used little self adhesive rubber feet.