Acoustic Research HC6 vs Fluance AV-HTB

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Donovan M, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Donovan M

Donovan M Auditioning

Well I was finally decided on gettig th Acoustic Research HC6 (refurbished) for $199 online from Factory Clearance Center. Then I ran across the Fluance AV-HTB for the same price. I've searched high and low for any negative reviews of the Fluance's but I just can't find any. I'm also a little partial to floor standing speakers. I also realize that I would probably need to purchase a subwoofer for the Fluance's since I mostly would use the speakers for movies. Based on sound quaility, what do you guys think? I am especially interested in hearing from those of you who have actually heard either of these speakers. I should also mention that this is for a second HT setup in a 12'x19' room with a 12'x12' actual listening area. Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions - you always seem to be quite helpful.

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I haven't really read a bad review either, the one thing you will want to keep in mind is the sensitivity. I think the Fluances are somewhere around 86-87db, they will take a lot of power. I have researched these things up and down also, and just about everything I read is pretty positive. I am really considering ordering a pair of the floorstanders for a 2-channel music setup I am building, but haven't quite taken the plunge yet (even if it is a semi-cheap plunge) [​IMG]

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I think for all around sound you would be more impressed with the Fluance av-htb would give you a better all around sound. I have heard good things about both but the 3 1/2 inch driver tends to be lacking midrange on the ar speakers. Both are good but the reviews on the Fluance are outstanding. I believe that there is a good review on both of the setups on cnet.com

Greg

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I have read some information regarding the HC6 system. Two things I wanted to note:

- First, they are are not well suited for larger rooms.

- Second, many claim there is a very noticeable 'hole' between the sats and the sub.

Personally, I haven't heard fluance or the HC6. I just wanted to pass this info I have read on other forums along.

Best of luck

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yet that "hole" can be "filled" to some extent with judicious placement. Of course, a smallish sat/sub home-theater suite is not suited for large rooms. In my bedroom system, the HC6 system sounds sweet and surprisingly neutral and transparent.

6. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

The HC6 set sounds pretty good for it's size and price. I set them up in a bedroom system also and was pleasantly surprised at how well they filled the room and I found them to be just as Jack described neutral sounding and enjoyable to listen to. I haven't heard or seen Fluance, so I can't comment or make any comparisons between the two.