What's new

Acoustic Research Componant cables. Any good? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'd love to pick up a set of Monster componants but the steep price tag prevents it (90 bucks for 6') and I need at least 12'. Acoustic Research makes a 12' cable and is far less than Monster's, but is it any good? I know that a componant cable should be rated at 8 ohms and the AR cable is so it should be cool right?

Thanks.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If your going with the AR cables make sure you get the Master series. I'm running the Master series for Optical, Interconnects(audio) and Componet. Excellent quality at a great price. I also e-mailed Recoton and asked about the Master Series component cables when it comes to HDTV and Progressive scan. Their reply was:

Quote:

Master Series is Ideal for HD and DVD connections, progressive scan or other wise. The bandwidth of the Master Series Component Video cable is extremely wide,
beyond 300MHz.

Quote:

Kevin

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks Kevin. :emoji_thumbsup: I hate to quibble over details, but what's the going price for a 12' run of the Master series cable, and where can I pick some up? Does Best Buy carry it? I'm not a big internet shopper so some brick and mortor suggestions would be great. :)

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
If your going with the AR cables make sure you get the Master series.
I disagree. IMO the AR Pro series cables are also very good. They are also much less expensive than the Master series. AR also makes a Performance series cable that is available at Best Buy. I don't know much about that line except that it looks like the low end Monster series. There have been many positive posts on this and other forums from people that are very satisfied with the AR Pro series.

Jay

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Video cables should be made with 75 ohm coax. Most speakers are 8 ohms (he he).

I've never seen the Master series in any store locally. Only internet sales. And a 12' cable runs $140. For that price, I'd spend the extra $30 and go with a BetterCables 16 foot.

Do you really need the Master series?

I usually recommend the Pro series for 'modest' systems and only go with a higher-grade cable if your system is sensitive enough that it might be an issue.

By 'sensitive' I mean one of the following:

- Display Size greater than about 40"
- Pushing progressive or HD video signals
- Feeding a HD TV that up-converts the signal
- Long run

Always keep in mind the 10% rule: budget 10% of the electronics you are hooking up for the cable. This keeps the cable in perspective with the equipment so you dont over-buy.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
John, I recently went from an AR performance series to a Pro series cable and noticed an improvement. There's a chain store nearby that carries the pro and master series but they didnt have a 6' master series component so I went with the pro cable with no regrets. Even though I'm running a progressive scan signal to a 56" Toshiba widescreen. Accessories4less.com has the master series component 12' cable for $94.99. They're a reputable company as I and many others here have bought from them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks