Acoustic Research Componant cables. Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'd love to pick up a set of Monster componants but the steep price tag prevents it (90 bucks for 6') and I need at least 12'. Acoustic Research makes a 12' cable and is far less than Monster's, but is it any good? I know that a componant cable should be rated at 8 ohms and the AR cable is so it should be cool right?

Thanks.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If your going with the AR cables make sure you get the Master series. I'm running the Master series for Optical, Interconnects(audio) and Componet. Excellent quality at a great price. I also e-mailed Recoton and asked about the Master Series component cables when it comes to HDTV and Progressive scan. Their reply was:

Quote:

Master Series is Ideal for HD and DVD connections, progressive scan or other wise. The bandwidth of the Master Series Component Video cable is extremely wide,
    beyond 300MHz.

Quote:

Kevin

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Thanks Kevin. [​IMG] I hate to quibble over details, but what's the going price for a 12' run of the Master series cable, and where can I pick some up? Does Best Buy carry it? I'm not a big internet shopper so some brick and mortor suggestions would be great. [​IMG]

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Video cables should be made with 75 ohm coax. Most speakers are 8 ohms (he he).

I've never seen the Master series in any store locally. Only internet sales. And a 12' cable runs $140. For that price, I'd spend the extra $30 and go with a BetterCables 16 foot.

Do you really need the Master series?

I usually recommend the Pro series for 'modest' systems and only go with a higher-grade cable if your system is sensitive enough that it might be an issue.

By 'sensitive' I mean one of the following:

- Display Size greater than about 40"
    - Pushing progressive or HD video signals
    - Feeding a HD TV that up-converts the signal
    - Long run

Always keep in mind the 10% rule: budget 10% of the electronics you are hooking up for the cable. This keeps the cable in perspective with the equipment so you dont over-buy.

6. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

John, I recently went from an AR performance series to a Pro series cable and noticed an improvement. There's a chain store nearby that carries the pro and master series but they didnt have a 6' master series component so I went with the pro cable with no regrets. Even though I'm running a progressive scan signal to a 56" Toshiba widescreen. Accessories4less.com has the master series component 12' cable for $94.99. They're a reputable company as I and many others here have bought from them before.