What's new

Acoustic Research cables at Best Buy, Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Should I spend the money and get the Monster Cable brand ones for optical and coax connections? Is there a fit, finish difference? Thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well it does come with a lifetime warranty if you hold onto your receipt. however, I think you'd do better pricewise with the AR and as far as the optical goes, it doesn't matter who you get. just look for a decent connector. my kid's got an optical from Electronic Boutique that works just fine (don't know the brand). Online Lifatec has a one meter armor jacketed cable that ought to hold up to a ton of abuse, even walking on it...ok, not if you're rosie o'donnel, for $20.

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the Monster Cable and AR. The AR have been very good to me. I think they are fine.

LewB

Screenwriter
I used the AR cables from Best Buy to hook up my system and the only complaint that I have is that I found their packages a pain in the neck to open. I have no gripes with the cables. I'm not sure that there is that much difference between them and the Monster Cables to justify the price difference.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd give NXG cables a look (both their regular and pro line). They're just as good as the basic Monster and AR Pro stuff at a fraction of the cost. Check them out on Yahoo Shopping. I was able to wire my entire system (11 cables) for under $50.

Hope this helps :)

Todd K

Second Unit
AR will do you good. I second Donnie's suggestion of looking for the Pro series online. I did the same.

I also used http://store.yahoo.com/electronicsemall2k/ and one or two other stores whose websites don't seem to be working right now. No single store had the lowest price on everything so I had to shop around. Try shop.yahoo.com and then typing in your desired product, you'll get a variety of prices. Ok I'm going way beyond the info you wanted here, so I'll stop.

Todd

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Check out www.ac4l.com I got all my AR Pro cables for the same price as the AR Performance series that Best Buy carries. Their service was extremely fast for me as well. I'm gonna place another order this weekend for some new comp. cables.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I use AR cables on my Home Theater for a variety of things. I use them to hook up the video out from my receiver to the TV, the audio out from my digital cable box to the receiver, and the video and audio out from my Playstation 2. I think that they work very well. They are a good price, and perform extremely well for it. LewB is right when he refers to the package. They are a major pain to get open. :D

Don

Second Unit
has anyone here bought the pro series or the Master series. i'm wondering if it is worth the extra money. Don,

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Don,

Depending upon where you buy them, the Pro series doesn't necessarily cost any more than the standard "Acoustic Research" cables.

I've seen a couple past posts regarding the Master series--if you haven't, maybe try a search using terms "Acoustic Research Master" or similar. Be sure it's the "Slow" or "Slowest" search, not the quick search (which wouldn't find many if any hits).

Regards,

Mike

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Check the local Costco in your area, the ones up here have just started selling Advent (repackaged AR) cables for much less than Best Buy.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Yes, both are made by Recoton, same gauge, same gold plated connectors; the only differences are the brown box (instead of green) and a slight brownish tinge on the colouring of the outer sleeve (instead of grey). AR now has two lines the Pro and the (I think) Performance line, with the Pro line being the more expensive of the two. The Advents at Costco are akin to the AR Pros.

Todd K

Second Unit
AR actually has as many as 4 series -- The Performance Series, Pro Series, Pro2 Series, and Master Series.

I only discovered the pro2 series a short time ago and would very much like to know how they differ from the regular pro series. I've seen the master series at Sears a few times and they are considerably more expensive.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused on this as well. The official AR web site only mentions the "Performance Series" with little technical information. I have emailed their customer service department asking for a engineer/technical contact. We will see what happens.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I think the Pro Series 2 is a repackaged Pro Series cable. Gone is the green packaging and replaced with packaging similar to the Master Series and a few cosmetic tweaks to the connectors. Futuershop is replacing all of their Pro Series cables with the Pro Series 2 and they are selling them at the same price too.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
That is a better link. Thanks! I must have found an old site.

They have their own "fourm" and someone from Aug posted a question about the Master series and bandwidth - 0 responses. Lets see if the email to customer service gives any response. (I'm spoiled by all the custom sites like BetterCables/SVS/Outlaw where they are quick to respond to requests).

To get back to the original topic: The AR Pro brand has a good reputation and considering the price, it's an outstanding value. Several members also swear by the Master series for HD/Progressive sources. My only hesitation is that the price seems to rival the custom sites and since you have to mail-order them anyway, you may as well get the professional stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks