What's new

Acoustic Research A/V Cables (1 Viewer)

Mike_Thor

Grip
Any good compared to Monster's? They sure seem a good bit cheaper. If anyone would care to offer their opinions I would be very appreciative.

thanks

Mike

Mike_Thor

Grip
And what of Avic cables? Has anyone used those? I like them from what I've read because they actually publish their specs of their cables unlike Monster or AR.

:D

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
AR cables are quite good and well thought of around here.

For HD video, I usually recommend the custom sites to build sets of component video cables.

What side of the "All cables are alike" vs "Cables make a difference" usually depends on how accurate/large your system is. AR is great for:

- Televisions below about 40"
- Pushing standard video

Going to larger sizes or progresssive/HD video - this is where I like to recommend places like www.bettercables.com or others. These places will sell you fairly good quality cables that rival the high-end monster product.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I tend to agree, but I would put more emphasis on the length of component cable run rather than the display size. With a short run (less than 6'), the ARs will look pretty much the same as the "better" cables. ;)

However, longer runs (10' and more) will really benefit from the higher tolerance construction of the higher end cables. Of course, there's no doubt the accuracy of the display is the key. If you're looking at a uncalibrated 60" display at (fill in chain retailer here) with the contrast cranked up to max, there's not much any cable will do to help.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
With a short run (less than 6'), the ARs will look pretty much the same as the "better" cables.
Well.... I dont want people to get the idea that 10 feet or so is some type of magic number where you should spend more on cables.

The actual coax manufacturers roll out 100 feet of coax, shove signals down the ends and brag about the signals at the other end. 3 feet-30 feet should not make a noticible difference. (Assuming the extra length does not run in parallel with other power cables that could inject noise.)

Avic Cables: I only found a etailer site that had a blurb on these cables. From the look and the few numbers they include, it looks like they are using Canare coax and (hopefully) Canare RCA plugs. These are well respected parts.

What I DID NOT like was some of the mis-information on the site. They negative-sell cables that use a silver-coated conductors. They even claim silver could "... harm your equipment". They also claim that ordinary component video needs a bandwidth of 270 Mhz - I'm at a loss to understand whos butt they pulled this number from.

Here are the maximum frequencies involved in these different video types:

Composite video: 4 Mhz
Progressive Video: 13 Mhz
1080 Video: 35 Mhz

As a hedge, engineers take 2X or 4X the maximum expected frequency and find coax that can transmit this over 100 feet with less than a 3 db drop.

Because of the odd numbers quoted about Avic cables, and the scare-tactics - I'd avoid this brand.

You can find better/more honest builders in this link: Home Theater Accessories.

You can also just search this fourm for "Component Cables" and find lots of personal recomendations for these sites.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to make 10' a hard dividing line. My point was just that after comparing numerous component cables of varying lengths, and assuming they have true 75-ohm connectors, I find the length to have the greatest effect (if any) on picture quality because of the increased chance of interference from other sources.

Personally, I favor BetterCables for the higher-end installations I've done. YMMV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks