Acoustic Research A/V Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Mike_Thor, May 19, 2003.

1. Mike_Thor

Mike_Thor Extra

Any good compared to Monster's? They sure seem a good bit cheaper. If anyone would care to offer their opinions I would be very appreciative.

thanks

Mike

2. Mike_Thor

Mike_Thor Extra

And what of Avic cables? Has anyone used those? I like them from what I've read because they actually publish their specs of their cables unlike Monster or AR.

[​IMG]

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

AR cables are quite good and well thought of around here.

For HD video, I usually recommend the custom sites to build sets of component video cables.

What side of the "All cables are alike" vs "Cables make a difference" usually depends on how accurate/large your system is. AR is great for:

- Televisions below about 40"
    - Pushing standard video

Going to larger sizes or progresssive/HD video - this is where I like to recommend places like www.bettercables.com or others. These places will sell you fairly good quality cables that rival the high-end monster product.

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

I tend to agree, but I would put more emphasis on the length of component cable run rather than the display size. With a short run (less than 6'), the ARs will look pretty much the same as the "better" cables. [​IMG]

However, longer runs (10' and more) will really benefit from the higher tolerance construction of the higher end cables. Of course, there's no doubt the accuracy of the display is the key. If you're looking at a uncalibrated 60" display at (fill in chain retailer here) with the contrast cranked up to max, there's not much any cable will do to help.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to make 10' a hard dividing line. My point was just that after comparing numerous component cables of varying lengths, and assuming they have true 75-ohm connectors, I find the length to have the greatest effect (if any) on picture quality because of the increased chance of interference from other sources.

Personally, I favor BetterCables for the higher-end installations I've done. YMMV [​IMG]