What's new

Acoustic Guitar Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Not wanting to hijack Rain's thread on electrics, I've been looking at getting an acoustic and not sure where to go. I'm a rank beginer here.

I've looked, but to be honest, it all starts to jumble together on me after a bit.

I'd like a 6 string, something to begin with that I can grow into.

Thank you,

Kurt

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Back when I started (started? I still suck!), I bought a Washburn D12, mainly due to price ($220 or so, I think).
I've dorked around with a lot of different brands at our local Mars Music, which has MANY MANY acoustics (>150), and I like Martin the best. Ovations have a unique sound, but the way the Martin just rings- there is a richness to the sound that I haven't heard before.
They make one with a solid spruce top for about $600. The solid top is worth the money- more resonant quality to the sound. Make sure they set the action (string height on the board) for you. If it's too high, it'll be too hard for a beginner to play. If it's too low, the strings will buzz.
I still have the old Washburn, and I still don't like the sound. I'm trying to set a goal of mastering basic Travis finger picking before getting the new one. It might be a while.;)
Todd

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too love Martins. But I can't afford the "real" ones (i.e. over $1500). There were some dark wood ones that I liked around $600-$800, but I recently played a Taylor that I loved! Unfortunately I didn't get the model number, but it's retail about $1200, can be had by bargaining for under $1000. I don't think there are many Taylors in that range so it shouldn't be hard to find out which one it is. Choosing between the multiple $600-$800 Martins I've played and this new Taylor is a no-brainer. I'd have the Taylor if I had the money. Unfortunately I'm going to be broke for a while.

I can't stress enough how important it is to play the guitar you want to buy. Not even guitars of the same model will sound or play the same. For acoustic the sound is way more variant than for electrics of the same make and model (IMO). I'd consider buying electrics over the net, but not acoustics.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
IF you are beyond the point of considering whether to continue/drop the hobby, I would wholeheartedly recommend (or second after Todd) Martin Guitars. I paid $550 for my Martin D-15 two years ago, and have never regretted it.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Martin gives you a lifetime warranty (as long as the original owner is alive) on their guitars; my fathers 1973 D-35 needed work last year, and they reset the neck, fixed various scratches, and refretted the guitar for FREE. These repairs would have easily cost around $400+. Most other makers do not give you this peace of mind. AND they come with a free hard case, something that usually runs you an additional $80.
The 15 gives a lot more punch than the spruce guitars, but it is your personal preference that matters most. I played every single guitar in the store (Mars Music) including ones that were over $4K, and the D-15 was the one I liked best.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I paid about $500 Canadian for my Seagull.

Will I ever buy another acoustic guitar? Ya, probably many.

Will I ever give this one away? Not in a million years.

My guitar teacher also plays a Seagull acoustic.

Obviously, they are a bit more affordable that what has been suggested thus far, but they still sound very sweet.

Darren H

Second Unit
What Rain said. Pick a budget, then go buy the best Seagull you can afford. I got mine ten years ago, and it's just gotten better with age.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Talk about deja vu!

Yes, definitely check out Seagull. I own the S6+ spruce and the S12. Both extremely good guitars and damn cheap!

Some of the lower-end Martins are actually quite nice. The DX-1 has very good tone and goes for around $500-$600.

On the subject of Taylors, yes these are my personal favorite. When I get my big fat recording contract I'm gonna get a 414ce. This is my favorite one, even comparing to their higher models.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your insights.

I did look into the Seagull line, and affordability is an important consideration as I'm just starting out.

Rain, what model do you have?

Thanks again,

Kurt

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Laravee makes a nice acoustic, too. There are many good ones out there. Just make sure you get one that is made of solid hardwood. The cheaper models are made with the plywood, echhh.

Just my $0.02.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Good info and thanks all. I'll be doing a road trip to some dealers this weekend to check them out and see how they feel in my hands.

~Kurt

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
No problemo Rain. 'preciate your input here.
Good luck on your hunt for the new electric. I'd be interested in hearing what you end up with.
Now to find some good learning courses :D
~Kurt

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on Seagull.

I have an S6 and it is a very solid instrument. For the price nothing can touch it, not even close. Made in the Great White North by fairly treated workers. Think about that when you see cheaper guitars made in China and Indonesia. How is the labor being treated? It takes a great deal of skill to properly make an acoustic guitar. And don't sweat the solid wood / laminate on your first acoustic. Maybe someday if you love playing you can upgrade to a solid top, back, or all solid guitar. For now don't worry about it.

If you happen to see any "Norman" guitars don't hesitate, they're exactly the same as Seagulls. Made in the same factory with a different word on the headstock.

I love my Tacoma bass, I'm sure their guitars are great, also, but much more expensive (maybe not?).

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'll make a different suggestion. I've been playing guitar pretty intensely for the past 6 years.

Depending on your budget and interest level, you may not be wrong to spend $300 to $500 on your first acoustic if you know you'll keep it for two or three years. On the other hand, do not blow a lot of money if you're not sure you'll stick with it. I've taught too many people who buy great guitars when they start and then lose interest after a couple of months.

I actually recommend buying a dirt-cheap starter guitar (one of those Fender jam packs or Yamahas) for less than $150, and seeing if the hobby is for you. Not only will you save the money should you decide to stop, but you'll also learn exactly what you like, build and style wise, for a guitar in the mid/high price range.

For example, do you want a narrow or wider neck, higher action or lower, classic jumbo or cutaway body, built in pre-amp or pure acoustic? These are questions you'll need to answer before spending a lot of money on an instrument. Unfortunately, you can only get the answers after you've been playing for a while and can develop your own style and personal taste in playing.

I started with an $80 Alvarez, which was a real POC. I played that for over a year before deciding I was ready to buy a "real" guitar. I didn't feel bad about blowing over a grand on a good one, either, because I knew I loved playing and I knew that guitar was exactly what I wanted. Plus, you'll appreciate the better guitar more when you can coax great sounds out of it, which makes delaying the purchase more worthwhile and the upgrade totally satisfying.

Don't worry about getting a guitar you can grow into, I've never seen someone limited by their instrument's capabilities just because it was cheap. For all intents and purposes, a $100 guitar plays just the same as a $2,500 one.

The important thing is to make sure your first guitar has a low enough action to let you build finger strength gradually, that the thing is comfortable to hold and play (I don't mean sore fingertips, everybody gets those at first), and that the build quality looks OK (oozing glue, or loose necks and tuners). Really, a cheap Fender or Yamaha should fit your initial needs fine.

One side note - if you can find it and you want to spend the cash, the Gibson Gospel is one of the best sounding $500 jumbo body acoustics out there. It's got a very bright, crisp sound, and the fretboard is amazingly responsive.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a seagull and I recommend them highly. I own a C6 Cedar (the beginner model I think). I started playing almost 2 years ago and I still love the sound of the seagull (especially in my favorite open e tuning...eabebe).

Good luck!

-ikiru

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
On the other hand, do not blow a lot of money if you're not sure you'll stick with it. I've taught too many people who buy great guitars when they start and then lose interest after a couple of months.
Personally, I find this unfathomable. Playing guitar is, to me, the most addictive thing I've encountered since the accursed weed known as tobacco.

Not that I'm doubting it happens...I even know a couple of people who have started and given up.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Playing guitar is, to me, the most addictive thing I've encountered since the accursed weed known as tobacco.

It's not the tobacco that's addictive, it's the "cool, yet sophisticated" image conveyed by smoking that makes it so hard to give up.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
If your looking to save a little money I would recommend "Art & Lutherie". They are owned by the same company that owns Seagull. They are a little company in a small town in Canada where most of the population has a hand in building the guitars.

The price for the most common model is around 200$ and has sound and build quality equal to much more expensive guitars, say the 400$ to 500$ range.

Granted, it won't sound as good as a Martin, but will compare to some other nice guitars.

Later, Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks