Acoustic Foam

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Lenthol, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Anybody know of a source for the egg crate foam? Specialty stores (i.e. audio) charge way too much, and their stuff is no different from what is used for packing.

I'm looking for a large quantity so a lower price per sq/ft is important.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    The reason the specialty store stuff is expensive is two fold....that foam does have special accoustical properties AND....it is fire retardant. VERY IMPORTANT!

Remember that night club fire last year with the 80's band Great White? The egg crate foam stuff is not fire retardant and will burn like crazy in seconds. You really don't want to be putting that stuff on your walls.

3. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

I have bough the foam from specialty stores before and it looked, felt and smelled exactly the same as in some of the packages I received, but I won't pretend to know a lot about it. What would be a fair to good price per sq/ft on the real acoustic stuff?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well just what is it that you're looking to do and what kind of a room are you talking about? There may be other, cost effective, DIY approaches that you can take.

5. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator