Acoustic foam, neat stuff

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daniel T., Jul 13, 2003.

1. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

I recently moved my gun safe to a temporary house(building a new one). The temp house is my great grandmothers place, and well...its kinda run down. So I have lots of latitude to piddle with the interior.

In moving the rifles I purchased 4 pieces of 1" thick eggshell foam to layer them in the back of may car. These are 4'x4'(16 square feet). Once I had all the rifles/pistols safely ensconced in the safe I took a look at the eggshell and got an idea.

Grabbed the staple gun and went to town. I tried to imagine the sound waves bouncing about and stapled the pieces in the areas I guessed I might get reflections. The ceiling tile would not hold staples, so I stuck with the walls.

Sound now? YEAH! Love how a small bit of sound absorber really tightened things up.

Now to the question:

I did some figuring and I can line the ENTIRE room for around 450 bucks. I don't care how it looks, sound is the only consideration. Will a completely(well mostly) echo proof room lose anything? Clarity or punch? Or is some reflection a good thing?

2. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

Daniel:

Your very first consideration is the fireproof qualities of this eggshell foam product. There was a nightclub in Rhode Island that caught on fire a short time ago and 100 people died. Investigators are looking at the eggshell foam that lined the walls of the stage for soundproofing, as they feel that this may have caused the club to be engulfed in the matter of seconds.

Use the approved methods outlined on this board and others (check out AVS Forum for some great construction tips).

Just some words of caution![​IMG]

3. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

The stuff meets fire code....

This stuff

I went ahead and did the deed, have a few hundered square feet of the foam ordered. If it does nothing for music, I'll put it in my bedroom and have a nice QUIET place to sleep at least [​IMG]