Acoustic Elegance AV15

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis_G, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Travis_G

Travis_G Agent

I'm looking for opinions on this speaker. How does it compare with the tempest in terms of distortion?

Opinions? [​IMG]

Travis

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I had a 214L Tempest and replaced it with the Acoustic Elegance AV15 PR'd with 500 watts in a 24" cube enclosure. It's the standard recommended enclosure.

You simply cannot compare the two, the Tempest is a low cost big bang for the buck driver that is quite capable but the AV15 is quite a step up. I cannot comment on the specs but you can view those for yourself and see that the AV15 is a beefier driver. The amp gives before the driver does in my setup. If I were to do it again I'd go with 1000 watts and keep the gain low. The PE 500 watt plate amp is just enough to keep the AV15 happy but I'm using every last bit of oomph the amp has. The AV15 has a lot more to give though if I wanted.

I'm happy I upgraded and the price was decent.

3. Travis_G

Travis_G Agent

thank you darren [​IMG]

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

No problem, not much technical info from me but I'm very impressed with the performance of the AV15...it's darn pretty too [​IMG]

Here's a pic of it (the bottle of rum is for scale):

[​IMG]

Here's another pic for scale, the TV is 61"

[​IMG]

5. Jeremy Birch

Jeremy Birch Auditioning

I have the AE15 as well and I use it sealed in my Chevy Prizm. It's a great driver that has quite a bit of output. I can't compare it directly to any sub that I've run in the same environment, but I did build a sealed Dayton DVC 15'' sub which is rather similar and althought the performance was exceptional it didn't have the same impact the AE15 does. Take this all with a grain of salt but I think up until the buyout of the Avalanche's and Atlas's came this was the best deal for displacement per dollar.

6. Travis_G

Travis_G Agent

That's a sweet looking sub Darren.

Thank you Jeremy.