What's new

Acoustic Blok (1 Viewer)

greg_mc

Grip
Where can I get accoustic blok? This is the rolled stuff that you put between studs and before you apply drywall. I hear several folks talking about it on this forum but do not see a reference of where to get. My google search failed to find source. Maybe I am not spelling correctly.

Acousti-Blok

Stuff is super expensive I hear.

I've seen some others use 90lb or similiar roofing felt instead. Not real sure how it compares to this stuff though.

Not sure if roofing felt is fire-rated for in wall use either, but acousti-blok appears to be.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Magee

Agent
Try www.silentsource.com They have it for half of what Acoustiblok charges and it's the exact same stuff. Acoustiblok though is very fast with shipment and will provide support during the installation. I purchased most of my mass-loaded vinyl which is what the stuff is, from silent source but when I ran short during construction, it was Acoustiblok that came to the rescue with a roll of the stuff delivered the next day. Silent Source was unable to help me with such short notice. Also, the tape that you need to seal the seams can be purchased from Acoustiblok. I don't know how effective the roofing felt is but I'm sure you will be happy with the mass loaded vinly. It's some very heavy stuff and will require at least two people to install and likely three for ceilings. I can crank my system up which pumps 500 watts a channel into 8ohms so loud it will run you out of the room. Yes, you can still hear it outside at that volume but I doubt you'd get any complaints as the sound is not at what most would consider a disturbing level. At normal volumes, you can not hear the system at all even during loud sound effects. I'm sure this will be dependent upon what your existing walls are made of as well.

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin - Is this the SilenceSource material you are talking about called Sound Barriers? I see 2 different densities (1lb & 2lb), which di did you use? I am mostly interested in this for the ceiling (basement room) - I will also separate this from the drywall with a channel.

Thanks,
Bob

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I was the guy who put 90lb roofing roll material on my walls and ceiling. You can see pics by following the link below, but I'm VERY happy with the results. The only thing you hear, or rather feel, is the very extreme LFE from my two SVSs! :D Have fun!

E

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Erik,

What a great site - I love the progression! Interesting - I've used asphalt rolls before, but on a shed's roof! Did you do any investigation regarding fire retardant properties of the material? Just curious.

Did you staple this to your joists/studs? What side did you have out (I imagine the smoother side, but I'm curious). Did you hang it yourself? Looks like you need several hands to to it.

One concern I have in my basement is uneven joists. I was thinking of using a hanger of some sort so that I could 'even' out the ceiling and then using channel. There are hangers that attach to the side of the joist - that way I could adjust the hanger to get a level ceiling. If I go that route, I'd have difficulty attaching the hangers to the side of the joist without tearing the asphalt. Something else to think of....

How'd that soundboard work? Looks interesting. My biggest concern is the basement's ceiling, leakage to other basement rooms won't be much of a problem.

Thanks!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your kind words Bobby! The roofing rolls have fire retardant properties of ASTM E-108/UL 790 Class C which means "Class C roof coverings are effective against light fire test exposures. Under such exposures, roof coverings of this class are not readily flammable, afford a measurable degree of fire protection to the roof deck, do not slip from position, and are not expected to produce flying brands." So in short, yes they have fire retardant properties.

Yes I stapled it to the studs and joinsts and then hung resilient channel and then attached drywall. I did have the smooth side out...and I put it ALL up myself, in sections mind you. I cut them in about 3' sections...anymore than that and it's too darn heavy! :D

The soundboard worked about great. Using the R-Channel REALLY helped...the ONLY thing you can hear, or rather feel, is the bass as I mentioned...so I think the whole comination I used worked nicely and is MUCH more affordable than Acoustic Blok...which wanted $6,000...and considering I built my ENTIRE theater for $5,000 I think I came out the winner! :)

Feel free to e-mail me offline if you have any other questions.

Have a great one!

E

don costanza

Agent
Hello,
Regarding using roofing felt as a sound absorber, if it ISN'T fire rated, wouldn't it be possible to fire-proof the felt yourself?

I saw Erik's pictures and was impressed with how the wall was constructed. Certainly gave me several ideas to consider. Thanks Erik for taking the time to post the pics of your theater fabrication.

Best Regards
Don

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Don and everyone...just to clarify...it ISN'T roofing FELT, but actual roofing 'roll', here's a link: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/r...hingle_Line=11

It looks just linke roofing shingles, the little rocks and all! :D But if you did decide to use roofing felt, sure, I don't know why you couldn't put fire retardent on it! :emoji_thumbsup:

And thanks Don, my wife always wondered why I was on the computer for those long nights!:b I still have more "updates and pictures" to go as well...it never ends! :D

E

don costanza

Agent
Erik,
"it ISN'T roofing FELT, but actual roofing 'roll',"
roofing roll:b, noted... thanks for the clarification.

( On a side note, the day I saw your cross-section of wall I went out to Home Depot and started calculating how much FELT I was going to need ) Will have to play around with the other and see how it will work.

Best Regards
Don

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Don...sorry, it's just I see a lot of people referring to "that guy that used 90lb roofing felt" and I'd hate for someone to be be sent down the wrong path of something I did not do...that's all.

I know the rolls I bought covered 150 sq/ft and cost no more than $20-25 I think, maybe cheaper, I'd have to price it again at Home Depot/Lowes...so hope that helps! I bought 4 rolls to cover the 600 sq/ft I needed...so for under or around $100 that's not bad!

It's just darn measy and heavy!

E

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Erik - What exactly does the roofing roll do? And what are the properties of it that make it work?

Thanks. Bill

don costanza

Agent
Erik,
"Don...sorry" Don't be (grin)... I didn't take offense to it. I went back and re-read the past threads and realized that I mis-read your initial details.

As I posted earlier, I just apprecite the info as it has given me several ideas to work with and incorporate in our theater.

Best Regards
Don

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Bill, I read an article about the construction of a music studio in someone's basement, sorry don't have it anymore, where they used the roofing rolls to help soundproof the room. That's where my inspiration came from.

Any "dense" material, especially when multiple products of varying degree's of density are used, will reduce sound waves from traveling from one space to another. I first researched Acoustic Bloc, but when I got my quote back...I then found this other alternative. Of course I do not have any "sound ratings" but since Acoustic Bloc is an asphalt/dense material that is "thin" I figured roofing rolls is the best next thing...a mass-loaded, thin, heavy material...the similarities are striking! :D

So in short, simply because it's a very dense, mass-loaded material, I figured it had to help reduce sound transmission. I would love to build a room just like mine without it installed and see the differences...but I doubt the wife would let me take up more space in the basement.

Hope that helps!

E

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Don, glad if I can help. I share all the detail so folks and pick and choose for themselves what they want to do....I don't know it all, but I tried my best, given my budget, and I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks to sites like this and others, we're all learning this sick and crazy hobby of ours! :D

E

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds great Erik. I'm going to use it. You need to tell Owens Corning that you want to be on their payroll.

Bill

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Bill, cool I speak for everyone when I say that we're looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! And take pictures if you can...by the way, use roofing nails to put it up as well as an electric staple gun every now and then...it worked for me.

And on the Owens Corning...I only wish!

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks