What's new

Ack! What just happened to my 40H80? (1 Viewer)

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba 40H80 RPTV purchased about 4 years ago. Today, when my roomate turned on the TV, the picture came up but was jumping all over the screen and the convergence was clearly way off. Then, it went dead and wouldn't turn on until you pulled the plug....even then it would shut off after a minute and the front light would blink. Now, the picture comes on, but it's not stable and shakes all over the screen.

I was really hoping this thing would last another year...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
most likely the convergence board (or at least the ICs on the convergence board).

argh

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I assume I should just replace it rather than pay to get it fixed? Oh well, at least I've recently been reading up on 50 inch plasmas :D

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Those are usually $150 - $250 repairs; common failures on sets that have a nominal lifespan of 8 - 12 years. I would use that as basis for deciding on repair vs replacement. I mentioned elsewhere that there is no surety that any current display will be fully compatible with future DRM that could be applied to HD players or Vista PCs. Buy for now, not for some indeterminent future. (At least that is my view of the situation)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks