What's new

Ack! Please help a confused consumer make a RPTV choice! (1 Viewer)

Kincade

Second Unit
I've been looking to upgrade my KP53HS30 for about 3 months. I've now narrowed it down to the Mitsubishi 55413 and the Pioneer SD-643HD5. I'll be buying one in the next 24 hours.

They are both within $200 of each other, but the Pioneer won't come with an extended warranty - just a return warranty. Mitsu will come with a 5 year warranty. Pioneer I have to pick up, Mitsu is delivered.

I want the best stretch mode possible for the SAF (which I think goes to the Pioneer from what i've read) - this is extremely important, as she doesn't want to get rid of the 4x3 for this very reason; Best image using DVD (about equal I read); and best size for my room.

I've read all the calculators on the net, and I still can't decide which is the correct size. Main viewing couch is 112" away from the TV,, with the other couch running perpendicular to that, from 112" forward towards the TV and to the side. Most calculators say that the 64" would be better, but wouldn't this still overwhelm the room?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! This is a big purchase for us, and I hope I don't regret which I go

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any experiences with either sets, but I can tell you this: In a few months, the TV will be TOO SMALL. I wouldn't worry about the TV overwhelming the room. :D

As for viewing distance, I'd throw out the calculators and go see for yourself. Some prefer prefer sitting very close, others like to sit in the back. Which person are you?

Kincade

Second Unit
Well, I have a 53" 4x3 right now, so I don't think the 55 is too large by any means. The 64' doesnt look too big in the showroom, but it's so different than being in the home! It's extremely hard to compare in that environment.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I can't comment on the stretch modes, because when I calibrate a TV the customer and I usually use DVD or HD to evaluate the picture. However, I'd be inclined to recommend the Mitsubishi for a few reasons (based on 4 Pioneer calibrations, 2 Elite and 2 non Elite, and several dozen Mits cals). First, the non elite Pioneer's geometry is quite poor in HD mode from the factory. There are no geometry templates readily available for Pioneers. Also, 3 of the 4 Pioneers had focus issues. If the focus was adjusted for the center of the screen, the left side was out of focus. There's fixes for this, but they're quite involved and complex, even for a calibrator. Also, the Pioneers have no color decoding adjustments in the service menu. Their color decoders have above average accuracy from the factory, but they could use some touch up, especially with the green. The Mits has none of these problems, and geometry templates are readily available if you're the tweeking type. The color decoder is adjustable in the service menu, and you'll want to get it done because from the factory they have strong red push. Some of the new Mits models have user adjustable color decoding adjustments. The only non fixable problems I notice with them is that the edges (within 1 1/2 inches) of the screen can't be converged very well in HD mode, and they sometimes have small edge enhancement and black level retention issues after calibration. These are minor flaws.
I don't mean to talk bad about the Pioneers- it's just my opinion as a calibrator that they don't look quite as good after calibration. I did calibrate an Elite 730 that I liked alot, but that's opposed to the other 3 that I was disapointed with.

Kincade

Second Unit
Chad,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a 65413 Mitsu yesterday; I bought it, 5 year warranty, and tax and got out the door for under $2k. I feel pretty good about the purchase! Hopefully the stretch modes will be ok, I want HER to be happy with it too.

I've got Gregg Loewen coming at the end of the month to calibrate it; i'll be running it all day long for the next few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks